Should I move the nest? It is outside the nestting box!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy.ears

Reaction score
Hello, I am new at breeding and need some advice, this is my 3rd doe having a litter, she is a new mom. I provided nestting box on day 28 as with the previous ones and she didn't care about it and made the nest on the cage. I moved it to nestting box and she destroyed and made it again outside, I tried several times in 2 days and same kept happening, on day 31 very early she started pulling hair and guess what? She had made nest outside again, I tried one more time moving it to box with fur and everything and placing it in the corner she had chosen but she destroyed again, since I knew she was about to give birth I quit and left her do it her way. That was yesterday, I am kind of worried and don't know if should move the babies with nest to the box, our floor is not wire (I will post a picture) and the coldest that gets at night is 12C.

Attachments

• IMG-20210517-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210517-WA0005.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20210517-WA0012.jpeg
    IMG-20210517-WA0012.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 3
one of my does always skips the nest box😂 her most recent litter born a few days ago... she only had one!!! I was worried about night as it gets to 10c but it was fine! As long as there is fur they should be good;) and looks like there’s lots:)

Last edited:
I would move the nest to the nest box so the babies stay safe. Is there any way to block off the outside area of her hutch?

I move the nest from the floor into the nestbox all the time. The does don't mind, and you want the babies in the secure, solid nest box.

Ok,
I move the nest from the floor into the nestbox all the time. The does don't mind, and you want the babies in the secure, solid nest box.
So I decided to move the nest since I didn't sleep well last night checking on them and this morning found one baby wondering around all by himself on the floor (he is fine thanks God). I got a really stubborn rabbit, she kept moving the nest box, scratching it, was going nuts, even that I showed her the babies were there, so I decided to put the nest on a low cardboard box that way is open as she likes it but they are content, everything seems ok for now...

Latest posts

Back