Should I move the nest? It is outside the nestting box!

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Happy.ears

Reaction score
Hello, I am new at breeding and need some advice, this is my 3rd doe having a litter, she is a new mom. I provided nestting box on day 28 as with the previous ones and she didn't care about it and made the nest on the cage. I moved it to nestting box and she destroyed and made it again outside, I tried several times in 2 days and same kept happening, on day 31 very early she started pulling hair and guess what? She had made nest outside again, I tried one more time moving it to box with fur and everything and placing it in the corner she had chosen but she destroyed again, since I knew she was about to give birth I quit and left her do it her way. That was yesterday, I am kind of worried and don't know if should move the babies with nest to the box, our floor is not wire (I will post a picture) and the coldest that gets at night is 12C.

Attachments

Janellek

Reaction score
one of my does always skips the nest box😂 her most recent litter born a few days ago... she only had one!!! I was worried about night as it gets to 10c but it was fine! As long as there is fur they should be good;) and looks like there’s lots:)

Last edited:

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
I would move the nest to the nest box so the babies stay safe. Is there any way to block off the outside area of her hutch?

SableSteel

Reaction score
I move the nest from the floor into the nestbox all the time. The does don't mind, and you want the babies in the secure, solid nest box.

Happy.ears

Reaction score
Ok,
I move the nest from the floor into the nestbox all the time. The does don't mind, and you want the babies in the secure, solid nest box.
So I decided to move the nest since I didn't sleep well last night checking on them and this morning found one baby wondering around all by himself on the floor (he is fine thanks God). I got a really stubborn rabbit, she kept moving the nest box, scratching it, was going nuts, even that I showed her the babies were there, so I decided to put the nest on a low cardboard box that way is open as she likes it but they are content, everything seems ok for now...