Should I just chill out some? Health scare

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hartlea

Reaction score
Hi, all!
So, I posted last night about my bunny not seeming like he wanted to drink.
Well, I got him to drink some last night... once for a good 3 minutes straight, a couple of other times for about a minute or so each. This was last night after he got sub-q fluids in the morning.
However, I’m still just worried that he is not getting enough water... he has had stasis so I’m worried that if he gets dehydrated that he will decline again. He’s gotten a few rounds of sub-q fluids, and a part of me REALLY has the urge to bring him back today for more fluids, since I haven’t seen him drink anything today yet... although it is still pretty early in the morning.
At the same time, I know it is stressful on my little guy when he goes and gets fluids (I haven’t been given the option to train and DIY it at home). I kind of want to just keep him home today for once, to hopefully allow him to relax some.
Do y’all think I’m being an overly paranoid/protective bunny mom? I want to do what is best for him.... but I feel like I’m also pretty anxious so I could possibly be a bit on edge.
I cleaned out his litter box first thing this morning and the first thing he did was go in there and pee, and it appears to have been a fairly large pee.

Hi, all!
So, I posted last night about my bunny not seeming like he wanted to drink.
Well, I got him to drink some last night... once for a good 3 minutes straight, a couple of other times for about a minute or so each. This was last night after he got sub-q fluids in the morning.
However, I’m still just worried that he is not getting enough water... he has had stasis so I’m worried that if he gets dehydrated that he will decline again. He’s gotten a few rounds of sub-q fluids, and a part of me REALLY has the urge to bring him back today for more fluids, since I haven’t seen him drink anything today yet... although it is still pretty early in the morning.
At the same time, I know it is stressful on my little guy when he goes and gets fluids (I haven’t been given the option to train and DIY it at home). I kind of want to just keep him home today for once, to hopefully allow him to relax some.
Do y’all think I’m being an overly paranoid/protective bunny mom? I want to do what is best for him.... but I feel like I’m also pretty anxious so I could possibly be a bit on edge.
I cleaned out his litter box first thing this morning and the first thing he did was go in there and pee, and it appears to have been a fairly large pee.

Looks like he is getting enough liquid if he peed that much. Wanting to do as much as we can for them puts us in the mindset that we might not be doing enough. Talk to the vet and see what he/she thinks. Rabbit skin is quite tough and is not easy getting that needle to penetrate it to inject the fluids at home. Is he getting water soaked greens? My bun seems to pee a lot after his greens. Speak to your vet and get an opinion.

How are things progressing? Still on the mend or are still ups and downs? My bun is turning away from the water bowl so he is still only getting fluids from the greens, the pumpkin baby food and the medicine syringe. I took advantage of the fact that he loves the Metacam and added a couple extra syringes with water after medicating him. He eats hay, I don't understand why he rejects water and pellets. So stressful! Still ups and downs here. I hope yours is only going up, his body is still young and should be stronger than my senior. Good luck! BTW, I tried the ACV to water trick and no luck. Tried a couple of drops of pineapple juice, nada. Maybe I should chill!

How are things progressing? Still on the mend or are still ups and downs? My bun is turning away from the water bowl so he is still only getting fluids from the greens, the pumpkin baby food and the medicine syringe. I took advantage of the fact that he loves the Metacam and added a couple extra syringes with water after medicating him. He eats hay, I don't understand why he rejects water and pellets. So stressful! Still ups and downs here. I hope yours is only going up, his body is still young and should be stronger than my senior. Good luck! BTW, I tried the ACV to water trick and no luck. Tried a couple of drops of pineapple juice, nada. Maybe I should chill!

Overall, he has been improving. His poops (*knock on wood*) have been becoming more uniform and “normal” looking...hoping and praying that this will continue. Also, he has been drinking pretty well the last couple of days. Again... *knock on wood*. I want to slowly begin weaning him off of his meds in the coming days..this makes me nervous but I know it is necessary. I tried to ever so slightly wean him but I felt that has poops were slightly decreasing in size so I went ahead and put him back on his regular dosage. I totally understand where you are coming from though... so many ups and downs with this kind of stuff! I have been an absolute nervous wreck for a week now, and although I have seen lots of positive things, it always seems like there is something else I start focusing and worrying about. I know I shouldn’t do that and I should take a look at the overall big picture, but I just am so wanting him to be totally independent again on his GI system! I’ll be thinking about you and hoping your bun makes a full recovery soon! It’s such a stressful process.

Latest posts

Back