Should I isolate Grandma Bunny from her daughter's new kits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jadette

Reaction score
I have a doe that have spent her entire life living in a large 4x4 double decker hutch with her dam(16 sq feet of space on each level). They get along fine, but the mom will sometimes chase away her daughter out of the blue. No fights involving scratching or biting. Just aggravated chasing.
I bred the daughter a month ago, placed a nest box in the top hutch and found 4 healthy kits this morning. They look about ~2 days old.
As the new grandma was chillin' on the bottom level, I decided to keep her away from the kits by separating levels so that the daughter was with her kits on the top floor and grandma would just hangout on the bottom floor.
Well, the daughter is now unhappy and thumping a lot. Not sure if it's b/c she wants access to the first floor or if she misses her mom.
Given that the kits were unharmed for two days, should I just open access to both floors and let everyone roam free? Or is there a chance that grandma might suddenly turn on her new grandkits?
Or should I just remove grandma to an entirely different hutch (I would need a day to set up a new living space for her that is comparable to what she is used to now) and give the new mom the whole double-decker?

I keep my breeding does in mother/daughter pairs. I never ever had a worry with the second doe in the hutch. They acted as great stepmoms once the kits were mobile, and one even started to lactate. They keep away from the nest, and in these times imho social interaction between the does as a plus, lots of grooming and lounging together. It's not the most easy time, and they comfort each other.

I only seperate them (by putting in a divider, each duo has 2 hutches connected with a tunnel) during kindling until the kids are fed at least once, just to give the doe some rest and to establish a routine.
If the second doe kindles later this seperation is to ensure she uses the right nestbox, but they still get garden time together.

So, getting that double-decker ready would be good idea anyway if you can connect both hutches with a tunnel, it's always great when they have more structured space to get away from each other or kits when they feel like it.

There wasn't any problem either when I had a surprise litter amongst 4 doelings, I only realised what happened when there were suddenly 9 rabbits hopping around in that hutch.

Last edited:
Thank you!
I actually decided to keep grandma in with the mom and the kits and all is well. If anything, both mom and grandma are more relaxed now that they're all together and I see a lot more grooming between the two of them.
Sometimes it's just good to let things be and the rabbits just seem to figure it out amongst themselves. Mom and Grandma also get garden time together - they are bonding more now than before the kits!
I lost what I believe was a peanut which I was expecting, but the remaining 3 kits are fat and healthy.

Latest posts

Back