Should I have 3 small litter boxes or 1 big one?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony707

Reaction score
I'm currently still liter training two of my 3 rabbits, and I feel like maybe if they all had their own litter box it would go easier? Should I use a big long one, like one of those clear shallow bins, or have them all 3 have their own? The one was litter trained almost instantly, these other two are taking awhile, figured maybe this would help? Any ideas, or recommendations maybe?

It could be a lot of work if you give each one of your bunnies a litter box, they really don't need one each as long as you have a big one for all of them. It would be a lot to clean, in my opinion. If you're litter training 2 of them, you could get a cheap big plastic bin for them to use as of now, but then transition them to the litter box your other rabbit uses. Just make sure the litter box is pretty big since it's for 3 rabbits, and if you choose to get them each one they should still be a good size. The long shallow one is a good choice, but it should be wide enough that they can move and still deep enough for them. Good luck! If you need litter training tips, I'm happy to help :D

I'm not an expert, and I'm sure others will have great answers as well!

Take care and best wishes!
~ Remy The Rabbit

101 rabbits suggested 1 for each.
I'd say 1 big, 1 small just incase,
I personally have 1 each for my rabbits coz the boy is a fatass with a gigantic head that blocks my girl from eating when she sits in her tray.

Bonded rabbits can all share 1 litter box. It is another place they can be together just like when they lie down together.

If one free roams rabbits in a very, very large area that includes, for example, the upstairs and downstairs of a home, then one might benefit from having a litter box on each floor.

Bonded rabbits share -- food bowls, hay rack, water bowl, cage, and litter box.

Having more boxes just makes more work for you. If you want to have more, that's up to you.

@Remy The Rabbit @Blue eyes
Thank you both, I'll probably get one big one. Although I'm still having the issue of just getting the two to only use that litter box for the bathroom. The two will use it on my bed , or really anywhere, I think my bed just seems to be the most noticeable spot for it since they all are free roamed in my bedroom. (Also its poop and pee, they're not just peeing on my bed which is usually what I see online when I look up bunnies using the bathroom. )

Also it is probably important to have said that one of them is still not fixed (appointment is already setup in a few weeks), while they're all bonded now, I do know getting them fixed is supposed to make it easier. But the first one who is liter trained was before I got her fixed, I had little to no issue at all, she adapted to the habit of it almost instantly.

Really I just dont know what to do, I've been trying for months. Getting the one fixed is the last hope I have, but I'm not really sure how much that'll help with everything. I mean, I've had this one for months now, the only reason I havent got around to fixing him sooner is cause I dread how long the drive is to get there, but it's set up in about two weeks now.

They probably go on your bed because it smells like you, and they want to mark it. You could spray some apple vinegar or other liquids that would discourage them from going on the bed. You may want to wash your sheets and pillowcase as well.

You could try to fence off a smaller area in your bedroom, maybe like a corner, but it should be large enough for them to run a little. Put the litterbox with them and lots of hay in the box, and pick up their droppings and put them in the box. If they pee, clean it with a paper towel and put the papertowel in the litterbox as well. You could even put their food bowl in the litterbox if there's no poop yet so they eat there (Just don't put the food bowl there if there's poop, you can take it out after they're done going to the bathroom) I would supervise them while they're in the area.

I'm going to attach a link to a video with tips on how to litter train just incase you want to look at it -

Good luck, and keep trying, you'll get there! :D

@Blue eyes @Remy The Rabbit i really appreciate all the advice, I do have one more question though. Is there any place I can find a hay feeder that is as big as this one that was in the video? Everytime I try to find some online I can only find the small ones that seem to only fit a handful or two of hay ,which I'm sure the bunnies would get through quickly when I'm not homeScreenshot_20200831-221348_Chrome.jpg

Yup, on Amazon, just found a pretty big one with like 5 holes. You can just look up wooden hay feeder with holes. You could buy two of these but they're a bit pricy. Also, this hay feeder is simple to make, really. Get a hollow wooden box like the one in the photo, cut off the top and cut some holes at the bottom, and then pull the hay through.

- https://www.amazon.com/Small-Pet-Select-Hand-Manger/dp/B075VVK6DM/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=wooden+hay+feeder+with+holes&qid=1598927256&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-6&th=1

Latest posts

Back