Should I get real or artificial lawn?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwit

Reaction score
Hi! Recently I moved to a newly built house, I am going to work on my garden soon. I want my garden to be beautiful, but I also want my rabbits to be able to enjoy the fresh air and the playground. I am trying to decide whether I should get real or artificial grass.
My rabbits are adorable, but they are very destructive. One of my rabbits really likes chewing or digging everything. She has already dug holes on 4 sections of my expensive couch, when she saw me wearing shoes for the first time, she chased me and bite my shoes. she is very smart, she comes when I call her name she does high five, does spinning, agility course, etc I like how curious and energetic she is. She knows to stop when I say "NO", but she will continue destroying things when I am not around.

So far, my garden is full of mud, and they dug really deep holes all over the place already. (somehow I can't get enough soil when I try to fill these holes up, weird). so I am wondering if I have the real grass, will the garden end up having holes everywhere? What if I get some herbs in the garden, or a digging box full of sand, will it distract them a bit?

I bought a piece of artificial grass, just a small piece. it seems like they are not interested in it. But I am still concerned if they are going to chew on it and get digestive issues. and will they dig the article grass too? Does anyone have experience?

Digging outside is a normal behavior for bunnies. I think that if they love to destroy and chew on things that a safer option is real grass. Some rabbits love to chew materials even artificial ones. Forbid they chew on artificial grass and get sick/be poisoned or even die, that would be awful.

also if you are growing herbs in your garden, make sure they are ones safe for rabbits to eat just incase they go near it. Also the plants/flowers in your garden should be safe for rabbits too.

Hey there! I know this is an old thread, but I'm also in the same dilemma as you. I have rabbits and want a beautiful garden, but I don't want my bunnies to destroy it. I did some research and found out about turf rolls, which seem like a good option for bunny-safe lawns. I'm also curious if anyone here has experience with them.
I agree that getting real grass might lead to holes all over the place, but maybe adding some herbs or a digging box could distract them from digging up the lawn. As for artificial grass, I've heard that some rabbits might chew on it, which could cause digestive issues.

Latest posts

Back