Should I get my bunny a FRIEND!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarleyLove

Reaction score
I have an 11 month old female Holland Lop Ear named Marley. I let her out to play regularly but lately she has been biting on her cage like crazy. I have tried to read into it and the only thing that I have found as a reason is that she wants to mate or wants out... Which isn't the case because she is fixed and is let out plenty. I am worried that she is lonely and have been considering getting her a brother or sister but since she has always been the only bunny around, I don't want her to hate it! Suggestions?

Chewing on cage can also be boredom. Does she have enough toys to play with and chew on?

A friend can be a good idea, but it's a big decision. If you do get her a friend, I'd opt for a neutered male. Altered bunnies of the oppiosite sex are the easiest to bond. And it can take some time and patience!

It can be hard for you, too. She will probably not like a bunny friend at first (most bunnies don't, and love at first sight is rare), and to see your little baby get worked up can be hard. But be strong! A bunny bond is so rewarding, and can be very enriching.

Good luck!

She has a TON of toys! And I play with her every chance I get. She is so spoiled... Hahaha! So that's why I've become a little concerned that she's getting lonely. Thank you so much for your suggestions! Does the new bunny need to be the same breed as Marley? And should they be the same age or does that even matter?
:) Thank you again!!!

Getting another rabbit as a friend can be a good idea, but you do need to know what you are getting into. Even if they do get along, you still have to take the time to bond them which can be weeks or even months of 2 separate rabbits. There is always a chance that they will never get along no matter how hard you try.

Generally, the best paring is a spayed female and a neutered male. Same sex pairings can work, but it really depends on the personality of the rabbits involved. It can also work when 1 of the rabbits is intact, but that can be rare and really is based on the personalities of the rabbits.

Your best bet is to try a rescue and see if you can bring your rabbit for some bunny dates. She will be able to meet other rabbits and choose who she likes. If she gets along with one, then you could adopt that one. If she doesn't get along with some, then try others. You may need to go back again a couple weeks later if you don't find one so she can try again. You would need to do research on introducing rabbits so you know what to do in case the volunteers don't really know much about rabbits.

The breed, age and even sex don't matter as much as the personality of the rabbits. I have an almost 6 year old male who is bonded to a year and a half old female. He has been bonded to 2 other does of other ages (a bit older) and hasn't had issues. However, he seems to get along with just about any rabbit as long as they aren't trying to bite or attack him and he can get away if he needs to.
I would not count out any rabbit based on breed, age, size or sex until your rabbit has met them. You never know who they might get along with and want to give them the best chance.

I will continue to ponder it but will definitely let her pick out her own brother or sister :) I'm glad to know that the breed does not matter though so I guess that's a common misconception! I have researched bonding and need to find the right time to focus all of my attention on my babies! Thank you so much!!!

I work at a rabbit rescue, and we have a bonded pair that's a big white bunny..I think a New Zealand, and a Lionhead which is smaller. They look like quite the silly pair, but so cute.

She could be doing it just to get your attention. If you look at her, or even tell her "no" while she does it, she might keep doing it just to get you to look at her. I would try ignoring completely - the behavior might increase at first, but should go away.

Even with a million toys, some bunnies prefer to do what they want to do, so she might just enjoy it. You can try commercial no-chew sprays or just citrus oil and see if that will deter her.

Latest posts

Back