Should I get him Neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaleehill

Reaction score
Hi!
I have a Netherland Dwarf Male who is going onto 6 months old now, and he is honestly great. He uses the potty where he should, gets his privacy when he wants it, and comes and gives me kisses a lot. The only problem i’ve had is when I try to pick him up it’s usually a process haha, he doesn’t enjoy it too much but i’ve also read that, that is just his breed! And I have no problem with letting him be him and just going to his cage and getting my kisses and love through his door and only picking him up once a week (I give his full body rubs while he is in his cage, since I want to be there for him but don’t wanna stress him out) I usually take him out and give him some read snuggles and let him wonder around the camper (currently living in a camper myself, he is in an outside coop but he is alll bundled up and seems way happier than every honestly than from being inside for a short bit, he flops and everything and if there’s a little breeze he has one part of his cage that is open to let in some air, he loves to shove his butt at it and let the wind hit lol)
but anyway, my real question is should I be getting him nurtured? It doesn’t bother me he gets a little mad when I try to pick him up, he is fine literally right after!

Neutering is a good option! If you want to get him a friend, you would need to get him neutered. And in general it’ll just make them better house mates when they’re neutered, in my experience at least! In my personal opinion, I think that all rabbits should be fixed - unless they’re used for breeding (then they should be fixed once they’re retired). But it’s up to you, as the owner!

I would just say that it’s normal for him to not want to be picked up and it’s not really a breed thing, more like a rabbit thing! As they’re prey animals, they don’t like being lifted off of the ground, but some rabbits are more tolerant of it than others! Neither of my rabbits are fans, but they’ll both let me pick them up.

Our very first rabbit (male) we kept intact. Females do have a higher chance of cancer when left intact. But with males, the decision about neutering is more about hormonal behavior and bonding.

Since hormones affect different rabbits to different degrees, hormones alone may not be enough reason to neuter. If his behavior is acceptable as is, then the next consideration is future potential bonding. If you think you may get him a bondmate sometime down the road, then neutering would definitely be advised. If a 2nd rabbit isn't a consideration, then there is no pressing reason to neuter.

Great information here, I too am considering neutering our little guy after we potentially breed him.
Is there an age they should be neutered before? I believe you are supposed to wait until they are at least 6 months but is there also an age you should do it prior to?

Great information here, I too am considering neutering our little guy after we potentially breed him.
Is there an age they should be neutered before? I believe you are supposed to wait until they are at least 6 months but is there also an age you should do it prior to?
Please don't breed. There are many thousands of bunnies needing good homes already. Neutering early (from 12 weeks) is recommended as hormonal behaviours once established can become habitual.

When my husband captured three loose domestics, the 2 females gave birth shortly after and prior to their spay surgery dates. We had tons of spraying by male hormonal buns (after sexual maturity, 10-12 weeks and up) prior to their neuters. A Flemish Giant duo came our way and they sprayed horrendously prior to neuter surgery. We have a multiple bun home with everyone using a litter box, so keeping the male urine spray jets 'tamed" and the odor (from stinky male urine) down is important.

From rescue standpoint, we've worked with various sizes and the garage sale thrianta 3ish lbs. was the most challenging but that may have been her former background and lack of handling. I hope in time as handling and trust occur, that you make steps forward with your Netherland dwarf Boy accepting the fact that you won't harm him and so he'll allow you to pick him up. It may take months or longer for a rabbit to accept being held. Some rabbits are trusting and acclimate, others more aware of your hands and the Lift_Up technique similar to being carried off & killed by a raptor.

I gravitate to rabbits that can be held vs. those who are more aloof. At the shelter we saw all sorts of personalities and breeds, and how they adjusted afterward.

Our Tan boy, rescued from high vol shelter, became a sweetheart in his middle to sr. citizen years. Prior to counseling in a safe environment where he didn't feel scared, he'd kick and object vehemently to be picked up and held!! His xpen space was next to two altered dutches, and he gradually established a bro' romance with the boy dutch, then later the girl dutch.

We have a few buns who love jumping into chairs, jumping into our laps, or being on higher levels vs. ground level. And they trust that our hands gradually picking them up for a nail trim or slow cuddle will result in no harm,

My input is always to neuter, and acclimate a bun to being a part of your family or a companion pet.

Latest posts

Back