Should I get a second rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaCat

Reaction score
I have a two-year-old mini lop, Louie, who I’ve had since he was 10 weeks. He lives a nice little life with a decent size cage and running around my room when I’m there, and he loves getting pets and treats. He flops all the time, so he seems pretty content to me. He’s really easy going; I’ve never seen him growl, bite, or do anything aggressive to a person, dog, or cat.

I had always planned on getting him a friend at some point since I heard rabbits like being in pairs, but that would mean getting him fixed and risking a failed bonding process.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? I just want a good life for my bun!

The fixed part is nothing to worry about as long you have rabbit savy vets that do the neutering. You bunny seem like mine which I first neutered when he was 2 years old because I want him to be able to have friends.

Maybe at your place you can have bunny dates and might find someone that can help with the bonding process, few places will help and fix a bond mate. It will be a better set up for not failing ☺️

Otherwise when you get a girl make sure it’s already spayed and that you can return her when it shows the chemistry between your bunny and the other aren’t a match.

It's really up to you. I've had several single buns that seemed perfectly happy being the center of our attention. I've also had a rabbit that became single after her bondmate passed. After a few months, I could definitely see a difference in her demeanor and knew that she would do best with another bondmate. (Ironically, she was extremely choosey about her new mate!)

All that to say, that some buns seem to be just fine as single buns. So unless you really want another rabbit, I see no need to push it.

I have a two-year-old mini lop, Louie, who I’ve had since he was 10 weeks. He lives a nice little life with a decent size cage and running around my room when I’m there, and he loves getting pets and treats. He flops all the time, so he seems pretty content to me. He’s really easy going; I’ve never seen him growl, bite, or do anything aggressive to a person, dog, or cat.

I had always planned on getting him a friend at some point since I heard rabbits like being in pairs, but that would mean getting him fixed and risking a failed bonding process.

From what you described it sounds like he is happy with his nice little life and you are happy with him, why challenge that? He lives indoors and has plenty of communication with his human, if he was outdoors then I would say yes I have a girl who spent one winter in outdoor hutch all by herself, I think about it sometimes and it gives me the shivers, but he has you and has his nice little life and he sounds like a very happy little rabbit.

Now he knows this is his home and you are his human, and now imagine you bring another rabbit to live in his turf and he will need to share his human with him as well. No good Mr Holden.

Surely, depends on your rabbit and his personality.
Of course you will need to neuter him and wait 2+ months before you can introduce to another rabbit (also fixed 2+ months and with bondable personalities).
Then you will have to find a place where it's not his territory, because he lives in your room for 2 years and this is his home, and new rabbit is coming (who invited him here?) this can be stressful so even neutered bun can change a lot, he will maybe think that you were unhappy with him so got another rabbit to replace him or something. So he can change dramatically and can even get aggressive towards that new rabbit and you as well.

In other scenario if you are lucky he will accept his new companion and it will be really cool. I have a 16 months neutered boy he is so easy going he accepts everybody. But also I tried to bond him with another rabbit and that new rabbit was very mean to him. That was unfair and I separated them, now he is bonded with two other nice rabbits and they all three are very friendly and zero aggression I was just lucky they are happy with each other and they now go everywhere together and they look like a very funny little gang.

So it's up to you. You have one rabbit and he has you, I personally wouldn't break it. When you get another rabbit and it works with all the bonding you might want a few more rabbits i can tell you it is very hard to stop with rabbits, I know it too well!

We always recommend that rabbits should live with other rabbits in compatible, neutered pairs or groups. It's what is natural for them and it keeps them more healthy because it reduces levels of stress. Hence they tend to live longer.

Article here Companionship

My last girl was a single bun right up till a yr before her passing.
I just felt she could benefit from having another bun around. Someone who understood her world.
I had my little guy (my current tiny doublemain lionhead) in an Xpen for a couple weeks before they were able to run around together..mostly because I had to get them fixed so I didn't get more 🤣
All worked out perfectly, and after her passing, my little fella and my cat looked depressed and lonely so I got my tiny lop.
And again, bunny quarentined with Xpen till she could go in for her fix to lower the aggressiveness she may exibit upon face-to-face without barriers interactions could commence.
Now all is well again in my tiny house 🥰💞

Latest posts

Back