Should I get a second rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FitzTheBun

Reaction score
I have a rabbit that doesn't seem to mind living alone. I don't have much more room to fit a bigger exercise pen and I'm scared that bonding would go wrong and that I wouldn't be able to keep them both. Should I get another rabbit?

If your rabbit is happy and satisfied, I don't see the need to get him a friend. Rabbits have always been known to be solitary in the wild, thus making them the same in domestication.
Besides, most times when you bond rabbits together, they don't really care to be with you as much as they once did.

I don't know about them being solitary in the wild because even when I travel across Europe all rabbits seem to come in sort of packs? (I don't know if that's the right word) But I won't have getting him a friend a top priority

I know some rabbits live in colonies, and after doing a little more research, I found that European wild rabbits are known more to live in colonies. There's the article where I read about it, it's actually pretty interesting
Wild Rabbits - Facts, Diet & Habitat Information
Here in the USA wild rabbits are most likely solitary unless when mating or raising young. Where I live there is a pair of rabbits that you see running around each spring, we usually have our cats bringing back their kits soon after.

I think that I'm going to wait until he's a bit older before making a decision on that

I'll start out by saying that I am not a bunny expert, so take this all with a grain of salt. These are my thoughts...

Although the general advice says that animals need animal companions, every pet and situation is unique. It's true that a bunny left alone with no companionship whatsoever will be miserable like a human imprisoned in solitary confinement. I think that's the kind of situation the authors want to avoid.

But to say that it's impossible for a bunny to be happy without fellow bunnies is a pretty gross oversimplification. I'm no bunny expert, but I'm pretty sure there are tons of situations where it's better not to add another bunny to the mix, and that doesn't mean your bunny is destined for misery.

My single bunny free-ranges in my living room. We have an hour of snuggle time every morning. From 11-5 pm like clockwork she naps in the fireplace (!), and our family spends the evening together in the living room where she scampers around alternately lounging on the carpet, licking our feet, or sitting by her food bowl. At exactly 11:30 p.m. no matter what we're doing she scampers back into the fireplace and goes to sleep. I feel confident that she gets enough attention because frankly she's the one who decides when she's had enough cuddles--we're always game to give her more.

You're right that there are a lot of unknowns involved when you bring a new creature into your household. Bunny #2 will have their own needs to accommodate (maybe digging, chewing or spraying). And there's no assurance that it'll work out better for your bunny or for the other members of your household.

So I'd say bottom line is that you need to use your own best judgment about whether you can reasonably accommodate another bunny in your home, and in particular about whether or not your bunny is currently lonely --which may be difficult to determine, because humans tend to project their own feelings onto their pets.

I look forward to hearing what you decide to do!

Latest posts

Back