Should I get a fourth rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bethbun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am just after some advice as I am in two minds.

My local RSPCA has a gorgeous girl looking for a home.

We currently have three rabbits. We started with two boys (Neville and Norbert) who are complete opposites, Norbert is a big floof and is quite a shy bun, Neville is a tiny Netherland Dwarf who rules the world and fears nothing. I saw Nala in Pets at Home - she caught my eye one day and I kept going back to see her, I was sure she would fit in with the boys because even in that tiny enclosure she was binkying and flopping so super chilled out but also outgoing - I felt she would be a perfect balance to the boys to play with Neville and cuddle with Norbert. She was - within minutes of them meeting they were cuddling and grooming each other (after Neville established who was boss - him).

They are happy together, so I would had to ruin that but I do feel we have room for a fourth rabbit, and that this particular rabbit sounds very laid back, but confident (sort of like Nala) by what the staff say.

I feel Neville is the only one who might have a problem, but as the new bun is a female, maybe thats the ideal mix?

What do you think?... Currently I have space to have two separate enclosures but for very short term. Long term if they didn't bond she would have to be rehomed. I have asked whether I could bring the trio in to meet her, to see how they get on there which would be ideal.

Am I being silly?

Thanks, Beth.

Trios aren't always easy to accomplish. That you have a successful trio is a good thing, surprising even, given that there are 2 males and 1 female.

Getting a 4th does pose the risk of breaking that bond. The mere presence of another rabbit has the potential to upset the trio's bond. So if you attempt to add this 4th bun to your mix, if they don't all get along, it isn't likely that just removing her from the equation will make everything go back to the way it was before. There is the real possibility that it could permanently break the current bond of the trio.

If they all do get along, that would certainly be beating the odds. Just consider whether you're ok with all the possible outcomes before moving forward.

Thanks for your quick reply. I am going to see Totoro tomorrow at the RSPCA to get a guage on what she is like.

I think my trio worked because I made sure the personalities were unlikely to clash (I kept going back to see Nala at pets at home for days before deciding to try). Neville is the only one who shows any tough dominance behaviours, the other two might hump very occasionally but have never shown any aggression.

Norbert is a very submissive male, and Nala is a confident female who doesn't seem at all bothered where she ranks.

They do have a very strong bond and unless I introduce a rabbit that wants to be boss I can't see them breaking up as Neville is the only one to want to be Boss (King Neville).

I plan to set Totoro up in a pen where the other buns can see her, so I can guage their reaction without them being able to do anything aggressive.

I might sound really naive as I would really love to rescue this rabbit and form a quad but know it may not be that easy. Willing to put the time in and be very patient.

I can't find much on introducing a new rabbit to a trio so it's hard to gain success stories or negative stories.

Bear in mind that females can be particularly territorial and defensive when a new rabbit is brought in. If you're ok with the possibility of the trio bond breaking and the rabbits creating either two separate pairs or a different trio with one left out, then go for it.

We have seen numerous times here on RO where a fully bonded pair has had their bond broken with the intro of a 3rd rabbit, so I'd be remiss not to warn you. It happens despite our best wishes. There's no way to predict what will happen.

It sounds like you know what you’re doing and know your buns very well. Hopefully all will work out but you need to be willing to keep them apart if it doesn’t? I think the answer to that question will answer your question. Only you know your set up/ space. Good luck 🤞

Latest posts

Back