Should I call the vet again?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentley

Reaction score
Okay, as some of you may know Bentley had the snuffles -upper respiratory to be more specific- She was given two types of medicine, one to help her and one to help the medicine be more effective. Anyways, its been 2 weeks after, I've given her her medicine and she looks like my normal Bentley again----except she still sneezes? She sneezes quite a few times, and so I'm wondering if I should call her vet back and ask if I need more medicine, or should I just let it be ?
Thanks for your help

Doubtful. Rabbits very rarely have allergies. What did the vet treat her with, exactly, and for how long? Did it cause any improvement?

Okay, the main medicine was Sulfatrim Pediatric, I gave her that twice a day for 14 days

and the other stuff i threw away :expressionless but it was sort of a toothpaste tasteless medicine that was suppose to help her antibiotics work. I gave that to her once a day for 14 days.

Before she had watery eyes and a runny/icky nose, and yes, it helped. Her nose and eyes look a lot better, however she is still sneezing a lot . I have a little bit of the antibiotics left.

Well, sulfatrim is a very old antibiotic and most rabbit pathogens are resistant to it. It's very likely that the bacterium in her system was resistant to the drug, and that a different, more modern antibiotic should be used.

Yeah the vet gave us two options. The antibiotic that we got was 8 dollars, but the other kind of medicine was a much higher price (not exactly sure) so, in other words, your tell me to call the doctor back..

I would definitely get a different antibiotic. Even a fluoroquinolone like Baytril, which again many bacteria are resistant to, would be better than septrim.

Okayy. I will see what I can do. However I do remember the vet telling me that snuffles (or whatever you'd like to classify it as) doesn't ever really go away. Is this sneezing something will just be with her? Because, I mean, the rest of her symptoms cleared up..

I think the vet meant that sometimes they have to stay on antibiotics for life. The treatment stops and the symptoms return. Its not that it doesn't have to be treated.

ETA: Oh, misread that a bit. The bacteria is almost always present in the body, the vet could have been referring to that.

But the immune system fights it off. Any sort of physical or mental stress that lowers the immune system can cause the symptoms to reappear.

In particularly active forms, though, they will return regardless soon after the antibiotics run their course.

sas :clover:

Latest posts

Back