Should I buy a little older rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermelin

Reaction score
This year I’m going to buy a French lop doe so she can bond with my buck, I’ve recently got a message from a breeder that had an french lop doe that had lost her brother and was searching for a new home and a bonding mate.

The doe it’s not spayed but she’s have never had any problem bonding with rabbits, at least that’s what the breeder say and she also have a wonderful personality which can make anyone fall in love with her.

But the down part it’s that she’s 4,5 years old and what I’ve heard giants only live for 4-6 years or can it be a chance she will live longer. Or should I buy my show french lop instead which will be ready to move from mom around may.

So I wonder if it will be worth buying her, if I do the transport and the bunny will cost me 40 $ because of the age.

How old is your buck?

The french lop I had lived to around 9 years of age. The idea of spaying is that once they reach age 5, intact does have a much higher rate of cancer. It's up to you whether or not to have her spayed.

That said, there is really no way to predict how a particular rabbit will receive another rabbit. Doesn't matter if she's gotten along with other rabbits. It all depends on what she and your rabbit think of each other. Will the breeder let you test them out?

I can try but if they won’t work it won’t be a problem the french lop will be my little brothers rabbit then. My brother it’s 17 years old so not exactly a kid.

My buck it’s soon 9 months old, I dosen’t want to put her under operation, it feel risky with her age. Right now she’s an outdoor rabbit and I’m waiting for her to start molting because she have a thick winter fur.

The rabbit live on a farm where people come and pet and get the chance to meet the rabbits and other animals.

The risk of a rabbit dying during a spay / neuter is 1,34% . An intact doe has 85% risk to get uterine or ovarian cancer, not even speaking of mastitis. To be clear, I'm not a neuter fanatic. My dog isn't neutered because I felt the pro and con where about 50/50. But when it comes to female rabbits, the risk is so overwhelming that I feel like if you're not prepared to spay, you shouldn't get one. Of course, that's my own opinion on the matter.

I’m just thinking because she it’s a giant, her weight it’s 12 pounds. I know rabbits that weight more and it’s older have a bigger chance to die during spaying. If it just a tiny chance I’ll spay her.

I can afford spaying but I really want her to survive because it cost really much, it’s 200 $ for does while for buck nutering it’s 100 $.

The insurance doesn’t apply to spaying/neutering none does, even that it cover everything else.

She will be 5 years this year. Dosen’t want her to die during spaying.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back