Should I bring my bonded pair together if ones being put down?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluffybunz

Reaction score
My poor Bambino has cancer, and we assume it has spread to his brain as he has developed twitching and a head tilt. After various vet visits his quality of life is no longer in a reasonable position as he continues to deteriorate. Unfortunately I had recently bonded him before finding out his terminal illness.
This was my first time bonding I've read about bringing bonded pairs to the vet together as separating can be stressful but should I bring Bunilla, to Bambinos final vet visit. I don't want to have her associate or stress about the vet being the place where Bambino died but I don't want Bambino to be stressed while going to the vet. They haven't been bonded for long but I can tell Bunilla knows something is wrong with Bambino, as she lets him lean against her and she grooms his face down side.

Awwwww.... I am so sorry. I pray to never be in your situation but I know one day my bonds will lose one of them. I have no clue about this but I have heard that if one of a bonded pair dies at home to give the other one time with them so they know what happened- versus just finding them missing. Some buns I read about look for their bondmate for weeks. I know your heart is in a million pieces dealing with this and wanting to make sure you are doing the right thing.
Maybe, bring them both to the vet and have the room calm and bring maybe one of their cuddle blankets or beds or something g from home to comfort them there. Give them a little time before and after. After it’s over, and bun has time to understand what happened, bring her home with the blankets or whatever was with them and she will have those comforts. Hopefully she will know. Keep an eye on her after as depression is a big thing that can happen when one loses another.
Keep us posted. Good luck. I know whatever you decide will be the best you know how. ❤️❤️❤️

I agree with JenGibs. Take the pair to the vet & let your Bunilla stay with Bambino for a time so she understands he has passed.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Never had experience with putting down a rabbit but I see no point in bringing your other rabbit to vets this time. Leave her home.

I'd bring her so she has a chance to see the body after and can accept that she's gone.

Hm. Just to add another opinion.

If you feel better knowing that your bun had its companion close when it dies, do it.

Imho, it doesn't make any difference for the remaining bun, they have absolutly no concept of death. A dead rabbit is just another inanimate object. They don't need to "see the body".
What can be an issue is that something important in life changed, the other bun isn't here anymore, that is what might cause some stress.

I didn't have a bonded pair - but one of the babies from a litter I had, had to be put down. When I come home with out the baby the mother just would look at me, like she knew something was wrong. I would pick her up and tell her her baby was not coming back, that I was sorry, that he was no longer in pain. This went on for 4 days. She would look all around for him, and give me these looks that I can only explain as "where is my baby". So I would love on her when she would give these looks and tell her what happened, and apologize.

I can't tell you what to do, this is a decision only you can make. Knowing your rabbits, you would know/feel if they need to be together or not during this time.

I agree with what was said previously about blankets or something to cuddle with for your rabbit who will be "leaving". Have something with his scent for her to have to help. She may need some extra TLC for a bit after, talk to her and let her know...she may not understand all the words, but she will feel your sadness and I think it helps.

I am SO sorry that you are going through this - it is so hard - but you are doing the right thing for him. He needs to be "set free" so he can continue on without pain and discomfort. My thoughts are with you! :(:(

I had a bunny who died last month, and I would say my bunny was bonded to him. All the bunny did was hump him before he died, taking advantage that he was unable to run away while he was still alive. Pretty messed up, seems like the bunny didn't understand his partner was dying and just wanted to tear up that ass one more time.

They did cuddle and groom each other, but my small male always wanted to hump the other male for dominance, even though he was younger / smaller.

But I was lucky to find a successor to my dead rabbit within a few days, found the tan female in my avatar on Craigslist. They get along fine, and they had babies of their own.

I agree with JenGibs. Take the pair to the vet & let your Bunilla stay with Bambino for a time so she understands he has passed.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

I don't have any experience with a pet rabbit dying yet, but I've been reading about bonded rabbits recently in preparation for getting Clover a bun-buddy, and most of the advice I've read agrees with this^. One article even said that bunnies will occasionally do a kind of 'funeral dance' in mourning. I think they definitely understand death.

Latest posts

Back