should I be worried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12lawliet12Snickers, Truffle

Reaction score
Yesterday Truffle got neutered, and this morning when I went to check on him, there was a little bit of blood on the bedding. I called the vet and they said that a little bit of bleeding is normal, but if I was worried to bring him back in. Well, tonight when I went to clean his stitches, they were bleeding still. I'm bringing him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, but how bad is this? Is it normal, or did the stitches come out? He did jump last night, and that really worried me. He seems to be acting normally, begging me for food like he hasn't been fed in a month and begging to be allowed to play with the dog, but I'm really concerned about the blood. Snickers got neutered as well and his stitches aren't bleeding at all.

I don't think you're wrong in being concerned I would be too!

Time stamps are all messed up for me on this forum. Have you taken him to the vet? How is he doing now?

Don't clean the incision too much if he's bleeding, you'll only slow down clotting. You can put a cold compress on it as well (if he doesn't struggle too much), that will helps as well. As long as it's not a lot of blood, it's probably best to leave it than put him under again to close it again. I've had my rats open up incisions post op several times - it's scary but as long as it's superficial it resolves on it's own.

It depends on what the vet did. If you can see stitches, there shouldn't be blood. The vet also could have used skin glue, or could have left the incision open. This last option is becoming more common lately and may lead to more bleeding being observed. It shouldn't be more than a few drops, though, and the bleeding should stop. Others are right, if there is clotted blood there don't disturb it. If you see wet blood, after all this time, he probably needs another examination. They might not need to put him back under anesthesia. A bit of skin glue or some other veterinary products that stop bleeding might be enough.

A little bit of oozing might be normal, but it really depends on how much blood he's losing. If in doubt, I'd bring him in to have it looked at.

I don't think you're wrong in being concerned I would be too!

Time stamps are all messed up for me on this forum. Have you taken him to the vet? How is he doing now?

If you're finding the times aren't correct, then you need to go up to my account at the top of the screen on the black bar and then down to edit forum options and adjust the time zone to match whatever time zone we're in. We have members from number of different countries on this forum as well so what is "morning" for one may well be evening for another.

Latest posts

Back