Should I be concerned??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixiebuN

Reaction score
i have a holland lop that is about a year and a half old. Today I noticed his face was soaked and he was drooling so much it was dripping onto his feet. I asked my mom about it since she used to raise rabbits. She said that he was probably just really hot but when I was googling it I kept getting results saying it's because of some sort of dental problem. I want to know if I should be concerned or not.

You should definitely be concerned.
Visit your vet to check dental and eye problems, the two are usually linked.

Rabbits shouldn't be drooling in that much excess.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Also if its hot where you live give him a frozen water and make sure he stays cool. Rabbits do not do well in heat at all.

My rabbit had been living outside since about mid spring. Which is why we thought he might have been over heating. We brought him inside this morning to see if it helps. Also what toys would be good to encourage my rabbit to chew. He has his hay (that he does eat) and he has a wooden block but he doesn't seem to play with it like ge did when we first got him.

Dribbling wouldn’t be a sign of overheating in rabbits, it is much more likely to be an issue with their teeth. Dental problems are soooo common in rabbits, and it’s important you do something sooner rather than later.
Most bunnies love chewing cardboard, either big boxes they can play in or just toilet roll tubes. My bunny also loves anything wicker or those woven grass mats and stuff.

My rabbit hasn't drooled since that one time. I've added a few more wood blocks for him to chew on so maybe his teeth were just getting too long?

Chew blocks don't provide all the chewing that rabbits need to wear down their teeth. Eating hay is what does that. Both the silica in the hay and the jaw motion a rabbit uses to chew that hay (grinding against the other teeth) is what wears down the teeth.

@pixie, does he get his water from a bottle or a bowl? Was wondering if the chin might've been dripping if he dipped his nose too much in a water bowl or if a bottle was really drippy causing it to do that when he tries to drink.

Chew blocks don't provide all the chewing that rabbits need to wear down their teeth. Eating hay is what does that. Both the silica in the hay and the jaw motion a rabbit uses to chew that hay (grinding against the other teeth) is what wears down the teeth.

@pixie, does he get his water from a bottle or a bowl? Was wondering if the chin might've been dripping if he dipped his nose too much in a water bowl or if a bottle was really drippy causing it to do that when he tries to drink.

He drinks from a bottle and gets plenty of hay. His face was dry (I know because he likes to lick my nose) then I let him out to run and play then I noticed he was drooling when I went to put him up. But like I said he hasn't drooled since I brought him inside.

where in KS are you? I live in Wichita and it's soooo hot and humid (well today is a cooler day but not for long) If you are in Western KS, I know they have cooler temps and more precipitation.

Latest posts

Back