Should I be concerned...?? (poo or urine spots in cage)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarBunny

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I found this on the resting/hangout area of Star’s cage. Once before I had seen something like this but only 1 or 2 spots. Is this a problem? I thought he laid on top of or stepped on fresh poops after having his greens. He is acting normal and happy. The second photo is closer to one of the spots in the first photo. I’m sorry it’s not that great of a photo, I was crunched up inside the cage taking it and couldn’t get directly above. Some of the marks are from a dried crumbled poop. I just don’t know if this is normal or not. The spots are the size of poops.

Attachments

• 1745A595-B546-4A68-9AB8-CF081BFB925F.jpeg
    1745A595-B546-4A68-9AB8-CF081BFB925F.jpeg
    313.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2EFE8E6E-18E8-42F6-8BBB-6C67BDC15818.jpeg
    2EFE8E6E-18E8-42F6-8BBB-6C67BDC15818.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 8
They look like the exact colour of pee stains to me. My buck leaves little spots from him marking and things like that:) just let me know if it’s actual poo’s. If it is they were probably just stepped on:)

They look like the exact colour of pee stains to me. My buck leaves little spots from him marking and things like that:) just let me know if it’s actual poo’s. If it is they were probably just stepped on:)

Hi Janellek! Thank you for your reply!

So are pee stains like that a problem or pretty normal and just marking behavior?He is not neutered yet and it was found in his new cage. I can’t remember if I pulled poops off of the stains or not. But I am pretty low reaching in there when I take poops out so I didn’t get to see the surface until I had looked over the top of the cage in good light. I have since placed a new towel there to see if it happens again.

My husband thought I was a little weird for doing this but I wanted to check it out. I had Star out running around and of course he left fresh little poos around. So I took one or two and smooshed it into the white towel and nothing happened. So it must be pee I think. Of course maybe his fresh little poops weren’t from the same foods as the ones that left a stain?

It could be pee or from wet poop, though pee would be more likely. Since he's not neutered yet, it could just be him spraying to urine mark his territory.

Things to look out for if it might be health related instead are, unusual pee puddle accidents, urine soaked bum, urine stained fur on the bum(though this can also just be from being an unneutered buck), seeming to strain when urinating, odd thick creamy or gritty substance in his urine spots, beige or brown pee, blood spots in the urine, white foamy urine, fecal poop that is wetter than it normally should be(should be dry and friable), irregular shape or sized fecal poop, mucous or blood in the poop, cecotropes being left uneaten, cecals that aren't normally formed but are wet and/or pasty, not eating or drinking normally, unusual changes of behavior and/or lethargy.

If you aren't seeing any of these other signs/symptoms of it being related to a health issue, spraying to urine mark would be the most likely cause to be seeing spots like that, especially if he was just moved to a new cage, as he would be very inclined and excited to want to mark his new territory. This is one of the many reasons people decide to get their buck neutered. The urine spraying drove me nuts with my unneutered bucks. Urine spots everywhere... floors, walls, me, the other rabbits, everywhere. They are sweet and affectionate little guys usually, but oh so messy until they get the snip :p

Latest posts

Back