Should I be concerned about the kits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillowRabbitry

Cadbury Pemberton Rabbitr
Reaction score
I bred my doe (Barlow) and my buck (Byron), They were completely healthy. About a week later, on thanksgiving, Byron got super sick in the morning. There weren't any doctors or vets open because we live in a super small city. We syringed fed him and he was doing better. He still had VERY bad diarrhea, was barely moving, and wouldn't eat a thing. He unfortunately died in my arms.
My questions I guess are,
1) Should I be worried about the kits receiving a disease from their father who died a week after breeding? What about the doe? She's in our house instead of the hutch and we are watching for early signs of diarrhea but I don't know what else to do.
2) Any opinions on how Byron might have died? I am bleaching out his cage, water dish, food bowl and everything else he has. :rip:

Do you still have his body? Maybe you could have a neocropsy preformed. What was his diet like? He most likely past from dehydration. Diarrhea is very serious and it cause them to dehydrate very quickly. I'm sorry for your loss :( I would just watch them, you can't be sure it was a disease it could have been something he ate or was exposed too. Watch the mother, otherwise I personally would say its ok. Just be cautious to what they eat and what your cleaning the cage with.

Yes, you or a vet should of opened him up and checked his organs, they could or told you right away what the cause was.
Anything from a blockage, cocci or even heart failure. No real way to know anything or know the risk to the doe w/o checking him over.

Even with a necropsy it may tell you what he died of but not necessarily how he got it. We had one die within 4 hours of having smelly diarrhea. The necropsy showed enteritis but we never could figure out for certain what caused it.

Latest posts

Back