Should I Attempt a Trio?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I attempt a trio with three young bunnies?

• Heck no, have you lost your mind? Too many bad possibilities with young bunnies.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Butterscotch

Reaction score
Goose is 15 weeks and will be getting neutered on August 30th.
Butterscotch is 13 weeks and will be getting spayed in October.
They will remain separated until probably December or so, when Butterscotch heals. So far they get along beautifully.
I fell in love with sable point babies that are about 10 weeks old now and I want to buy a doe, have her spayed at 6 months, and attempt a trio when she is healed.

Is it stupid for me to attempt a trio with three young bunnies?

Please try to talk me out of or into this! These bunnies need new homes anyway and I'd love to try to provide them one. It might work out? It will be a disaster? What do you think?

Thank you so much for your thoughts and advice!!

I don't know , i have a 4 year old rabbit , and she's not bonded with the male i have ..
Sorry i can't be any help

I don't know , i have a 4 year old rabbit , and she's not bonded with the male i have ..
Sorry i can't be any help
Thanks anyway!! Your rabbits are so pretty! My Butterscotch is a lilac/fawn harlequin but the lilac is really hard to see. She has very, very faint lilac stripes and a very light lilac nose.

As long as they are going to new homes, I would not make a trio out of them. If they all get along great, you might not want to split them up again for adoption. One rabbit is easier to adopt out then a pair. Some people want pairs, so putting a pair together would be fine. A trio would be difficult to almost impossible to adopt out. If they all get along, it would be a plus to let them play together every day, so they are socialized with other rabbits. I got my last rabbit form a rescue. He was one of three brothers. All were kept in separate cages, and let out together to play. All three were adopted out to separate homes.

As long as they are going to new homes, I would not make a trio out of them. If they all get along great, you might not want to split them up again for adoption. One rabbit is easier to adopt out then a pair. Some people want pairs, so putting a pair together would be fine. A trio would be difficult to almost impossible to adopt out. If they all get along, it would be a plus to let them play together every day, so they are socialized with other rabbits. I got my last rabbit form a rescue. He was one of three brothers. All were kept in separate cages, and let out together to play. All three were adopted out to separate homes.
I think I didn't say it right. The bunnies that need homes are currently for sale by a breeder and I want to buy one to attempt a trio with my own two young bunnies. I don't want to rehome any of my rabbits, I want to keep them all. I have a pair of babies now but I ultimately want a trio. I'm just wondering if it's better to try to form a trio while the rabbits are young or to wait a year or so and try to introduce Goose and Butterscotch to a third bunny and let them choose if they want to be in a trio. I don't want to risk breaking any existing bonds or causing stress to my current rabbits. Sorry for the confusion!

Thanks anyway!! Your rabbits are so pretty! My Butterscotch is a lilac/fawn harlequin but the lilac is really hard to see. She has very, very faint lilac stripes and a very light lilac nose.
Guinea pig 150.jpg Jasmine 4 years old , blue harlequin
COOKIE.jpg Cookie , just under a year ..
Mini harlequin lop

Have you read through the following link?
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
(look on the righthand bar for #7. RABBIT GROUPS AND TRIOS

No bonding should begin until all are neutered/spayed. Remember, with your current pair, anything can still happen. Your girl (and the boy, for that matter) is still quite young and hormones could wreak all kinds of havoc. That they are getting along now -- I'm afraid-- really means nothing as far as what the future may hold. You may find you have your hands full just trying to get those two to get along.

Last edited:
Have you read through the following link?
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/
(look on the righthand bar for #7. RABBIT GROUPS AND TRIOS

No bonding should begin until all are neutered/spayed. Remember, with your current pair, anything can still happen. Your girl (and the boy, for that matter) is still quite young and hormones could wreak all kinds of havoc. That they are getting along now -- I'm afraid-- really means nothing as far as what the future may hold. You may find you have your hands full just trying to get those two to get along.
I had not read that article, thank you! I bookmarked it so I can read it repeatedly.

There will be no bonding attempts until my bunnies are all healed from getting fixed, that's for sure. My question is more about the chances of forming a trio being better with younger rabbits vs. older rabbits. Is this a now or never scenario? (Well, 6 months from now or never?) If Goose and Butterscotch do bond, I would never consider trying a trio. Even the article stated not to interrupt a bonded pair. My thoughts are more along the lines of whether or not it would be easier to form a trio with three unbonded (and fixed) young rabbits whom have grown up together and already know each other but have never lived together. I get the impression that, while there are no guarantees, the odds are better if the rabbits have grown up together.

Maybe I'm just completely off base too. I dont know! Is it really just a gamble no matter what? And Butterscotch is so sassy already, I can totally see her being Big Bad Boss Bunny and even dominating Goose. He's so sweet and mellow and she's so pushy. Then again they might swap places after surgeries are done. I think I'm rambling now...I'll knock it off.

I really appreciate your feedback, thank you!

Latest posts

Back