Shipping a Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc Oc

Am. Chin. Breeder
Reaction score
First let me apologize if this is miscategorized, but I figured proper shipment fell under "wellness".

Anyways, I have had several people contact me about shipping rabbits to them. I live in CT, and the locations haven't been to far: Michigan, Maine, Virginia etc..

I am not quite sure how to go about doing this, I know it can be done, but do you guys have any suggestions or information? Please it would be much appreciated!

My sugar gliders were shipped to me from Florida to Minnesota. The breeder put them in a special plastic crate with holes in their fleece pouch and sent them on an airplane, the husband went and picked them up at the airport when they arrived. It was a while ago, but I remember it being very expensive, $150+ and that was 9 years ago.

Sugar gliders are nocturnal so they had no idea they were travelling and slept through the whole thing. Not sure how well a rabbit would do since they seem to get stressed so easily.

First of all, look into the airline you intend to use. Many of them have different requirements for what types of animals they will ship, what seasons they will ship, what the shipping container must be constructed out of and look like (some must be a wooden constructed box with metal grating ventilation, others can be a simple plastic airline approved carrier), what must be in the container with the animal, etc etc. These requirements are all different if there is a passenger on the plane vs somebody just dropping them off to be picked up at the other side. It is also a much higher cost.
You also have to look into whether the state youre shipping to requires health certificates to be shipped into or your own state for that matter for the animal to leave it.

Once that's all sorted out, then I would get the animal intended to be shipped used to being in the shipping container for various lengths of time. Maybe go for a ride in the car with them in it.

Read about the various airlines you can use, and check out each of their individual sites. Keep in mind somebody may be really close to a small airport that that main airlines files to, but would require a layover. I would only ever do direct flights which means the receiving party would most likely need to be able to travel to a main airport.
https://www.aacargo.com/learn/animals.html

Last edited:
I've shipped dogs, never rabbits but I expect it is about the same. You have to meet the airline's requirements as far as a cage, food, water, time of year (animals are cargo so, don't get in the passenger cabin) and, you need the proper vet certifications for both your state and the destination state for the animal.

Rabbits have gotten quite expensive and difficult to ship now a days. Call airlines to see what their policies are and you will have to buy a special carrier. I just avoid the headache and figure a way to transport the rabbit. Usually I sell rabbits to people from far away at the ARBA convention or my breed nationals.

People who get rabbits transported by air for the big conventions do not get health certificates for their rabbits. The prices of shipping I've heard can be well over $100 or $200 dollars.

Last edited:
I would be careful with some of these airlines also. There have been articles about them losing and killing animals by improper shipping procedures..

Vanessa

Shipping of animals should be illegal

why?

If animals can't be shipped it means they can't be transported by any means. It means folks who move from one country to another can't take their animals with them. it means you won't be able to ship in stock from Europe (or vice versa). Any sort of transport of animals is shipping them... all that changes in the means and methods.

For the most part with flying an animal out you need to contact the airport.
In general a airline approved cat carrier works well. You pay per container. So some 8-12 week old kits should be able to ship out well in a medium size crate. Adults you'd need to ship separately. Last time I looked into it would be $350/container. Most animals ship just fine. (including rabbits).

Thanks everyone, so far every where I've looked is ridiculously expensive! Probably going to meet half way or something... I don't know >.<

Latest posts

Back