Shiny Things is in an E- collar

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldoerr

Reaction score
Shiny Things got spayed yesterday. For pain medication they used a Fentanyl patch. They used the same thing with Beauty when she got spayed. It works great. The problem is that Shiny Things chewed the bandage that was protecting the patch off. I had to go out and get her an E-Collar. She can not seem to figure out how to drink or eat with it on. How should I go about getting her something to eat and drink? Her normal bowls attach to flush to the cage walls. Should I punch some holes into the collar so that when she puts her collar into the bowl water comes through the holes and she can drink that way? Also how do I get her to eat? Sorry for all the questions, I just have never had an animal in an E-Collar.

Imbrium wrote:
you could always try syringing

Where did you get the white thing in your buns litter box? Is that to put in a cage with wire at the bottom to help their feet? I think I saw them at the state fair :)

re: the white thing, do you mean this stuff? (don't mind the mess, lol, I've gotta clean this box tonight)

DSCF04392_zps9a124c41.jpg

it's egg crate (aka lighting diffuser) - you can buy it at hardware stores... http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100579509/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=eggcrate&storeId=10051

this thread goes into some detail about using it - http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=53690&forum_id=93 (like halfway down the first post). super glue and I butted heads, so I just zip-tied the legs to the grid, lol (which seems to work just fine).

it works very nicely to ensure that they never have to stand in their own waste since everything falls through the grid... also prevents digging/playing in the litter box.

(apologies for the thread hijack ;))

Okay... please post pictures of Shiny Things in an E-collar. This is something I want to see. :biggrin: How's her recovery going other than that?

Sorry but there will be no pictures of her in it. I forgot to take a picture of her wearing it. When she took it off over night she destroyed it. She HATES it.

I just got done cleaning my bunnies cages. Shiny Things was being extra agressive so I had to put her in a travel cage. While I was holding her I figured that I would check out her insicion. The incision looks REALLY good for her only being spayed on Friday. I also decided to check to see if the fentanyl patch was still there. Well it turns out that it is not there anymore. She must have eaten it or something. I could not find it. This leads me to a question how do I tell if she is in pain? If she is in pain I will try to find a local vet that has metacame and that is willing to sell me some.

Aww Lauren so sorry she is going through this :(

I only have one experience but when Agnes got spayed they sent her home with metacam (oral) for 3-4 days and we had no problems at all. I researched and read about patches and collars and bandages and I swear I've only heard they make things worse for bunny.

I know hindsights 20/20 but could you get metacam now? As far as telling if she is in pain, it's different for every bun. Some sit still, eyes semi closed, grind teeth, shake, scream, don't eat, etc. Agnes, from my assessment, was only in pain the day of and part of the next day. We did metacam for 3 or 4 days after.

Good luck and I hope she is back to her old self soon!

Beauty did WONDERFULLY after her spay. She also had the fentanyl patch. I really liked it.

I do not think that Shiny Things is in pain. She is acting like her normal self except being even more agressive. She is active and plays with the toys in her cage.

I think nearly all of the pain is over, but I;m not positive. If you wanted, you could try a baby aspirin, maybe just part of a chewable baby aspirin.

That's what I did with Teddy, she wouldn't eat much because she was in pain and it was too late to get back to the vet, so I gave her a bit of crushed up baby aspirin mixed into a bit of grape jelly.

I wouldn't give aspirin after a spay as it can also act as a blood thinner (and you want hemostasis and coagulation after a surgery!)

Some major signs of pain in rabbits are teeth grinding (not to be confused with happy teeth purring) as well as basically not acting themselves ie not eating and drinking normally.

Latest posts

Back