Sherwood Adult Pellets Difference

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfredo's Mum

Reaction score
Hi,
Just wanted to ask around to other bunny owners. I'm having some trouble choosing which Sherwood Adult Rabbit pellets to buy. I know each has so slight variant to it and if anyone can help me gain some knowledge on it that would be great.

The two foods I am looking at is:
SmartSelect_20210529-222953_Chrome.jpgSmartSelect_20210529-222848_Chrome.jpg

I don't see those variations on their website. I think those are the old formulations they used to do but maybe don't anymore. The two they have now are solely timothy based and those old ones have alfalfa in them. The current timothy based ones on their site are free choice timothy and timothy.

The free choice timothy pellet is a lower protein(11%), high fiber(33%), mid level fat(4%), low calcium(0.9%), timothy based pellet that can be fed as a sole or primary food source, such as with rabbits that can't or don't eat any or much loose hay. It can be fed as a limited pellet too, with loose hay.

The other timothy pellet has slightly higher protein(12%), slightly lower fiber(29%), higher fat(6.5%), low calcium(0.9%), and is timothy based. This would be better for rabbits on a very limited pellet diet and primarily loose hay diet, because of the higher fat content. Either one is good to be fed limited, but I would only feed the free choice pellet as a free choice food source for rabbits that need that.

I see that amazon has the professional and the complete still. If you're only choosing between those two, the professional is higher protein(14%), lower fiber(23%), higher fat(6.5%), very high calcium(2.2%), made with alfalfa hay. I would only use this as a very limited fed feed with a primarily grass hay diet, and only in non sludge prone buns. Also could be fed with nursing does and baby rabbits, with a good balance of grass hay.

The complete, same protein(14%), higher fiber(29%), lower fat(5%), high calcium(1.2%), mix of alfalfa and timothy. This could be fed regular limited pellet diet with grass hay, but I wouldn't feed to sludge prone buns or if there is a lot of excess calcium sediment in the urine when feeding it.

Which of all varieties to feed depends on your rabbit and what variety is available to you.

Last edited:
Thank you so much JBun. My rabbit will also be having his incisors extracted in a month due to dental issues he has, but I'm not sure how his diet will change (whether or not he will eat a lot of hay like he does now or less due to not having incisors.). The other two you mentioned they do have that so I think I will choose between the two that you mentioned cause I don't want him to have alfalfa. I'm in Canada by the way, so hard to find Sherwood until recently because of their move 😔.

Thank you for your help again

Latest posts

Back