Shedding strangely/Possibly worms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I take him to the vet?

• Yes. Right away.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Not yet, lets see what happens.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Don't take him. It is a waist of money.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mariam+Theo

Reaction score
We got back from vacation last night and my rabbit, Theo (Mini Rex), is shedding a lot. He feels like he has lost a pound or two. He is still eating, drinking, pooping, peeing, and playing. He is just so skinny! I can feel his ribs, which I have never been able to do before since he is a little chubby. And I feel like I can see his ribs as well. Could it be worms?

He has a two story hutch and sometimes he will take his food bowl down to the second floor. I told the people who were taking care of him that if he did that just to put his food on the ground. They couldn't of gotten the food bowl if it was on the second floor because he has a playpen and it was all closed off so no predators could get in. He had taken his food bowl to the second floor so the people put his food on the ground. I looked beside where his food bowl had been and there was a pile of what looked like poop/food blended up by worms. I could see little white worms crawling through it. I'm wondering if he somehow ingested a worm (I don't know how it works). I checked his butt and there were no worms. I checked his fur and there were no fur mites. I don't know what to do! He has never been to the vet except to get neutered.

Btw: His hutch is never this dirty. It is because I have been gone for a week. IMG_20190804_101734.jpg IMG_20190804_101630.jpg IMG_20190804_101809.jpg

That worms are "just" fly maggots, not the kind of worms that infests the bowels, just some extra protein if he swallowed one.

That's a strange molt pattern, haven't seen that difference in fur length before, although mine too shed in a line that moves backwards.
It really doesn't look like mites, I would still check all his skin for any sore, flaky patches where he can't reach well.

I would feed him some extra ration, and weight him daily to see if that changes something. It might be that growing back that amount of fur takes its toll.

If he doesn't start to gain weight after a couple days I would see the vet.

Ok, thanks. Just thought I should mention that he is not pure Mini Rex. We don't know what his dad was. That could explain the difference between the fur lengths. Someone told me that he could of stopped eating from shock. He doesn't have another rabbit to keep him company, so I spend most of my time with him. So when I left for vacation he could of gone through shock.

Latest posts

Back