She is getting more scared of me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:))

Reaction score
I’ve had both my rabbits for a little under two months and they are alittle over two months old ...one of my girls is so sweet and social and the other is not so happy to see me EVER.I thought it was just her personality or she just needed some time with me to get used to me.I was very wrong.. it may be her personality but there’s something else...as time went on spending time with her is making it worse.She was aggressive at first, and now she is very scared and extremely aggressive she thumps her feet so hard I’m worried she will injure herself ,yet she does this when I do simple things like open the cage.I’ve been doing that exact routine everyday at the same time everyday so why is she freaking out now .

Have you been working on to win her trust, she can also be territorial towards her cage.

If it scared aggressive then it will disappear when you manage to win her trust. Try to slowly approach her and spend more time. Let her take her time and use positive reinforcement (giving treats and award her when she act and get close to you), building up her trust towards humans which will slowly make her a more safe rabbit.

It can also be some triggers which make her scared. Try to avoid does situations until she get more secured.

Treats can be her pellet ratio and leafy greens.

When you open the cage to work with her, try to distract her from you or let her come out from the cage. Maybe she feel like you are trespassing into her home or she feel cornered in the cage and get scared.

Territorial behaviors will often help with getting her spayed and she’s also in the stage when hormones will act up even more.

Do the doe live together in the same cage?

If they aren’t smells can make her become more defensive towards you because you smell like the other rabbit.

Have you been working on to win her trust, she can also be territorial towards her cage.

If it scared aggressive then it will disappear when you manage to win her trust. Try to slowly approach her and spend more time. Let her take her time and use positive reinforcement (giving treats and award her when she act and get close to you), building up her trust towards humans which will slowly make her a more safe rabbit.

It can also be some triggers which make her scared. Try to avoid does situations until she get more secured.

Treats can be her pellet ratio and leafy greens.

When you open the cage to work with her, try to distract her from you or let her come out from the cage. Maybe she feel like you are trespassing into her home or she feel cornered in the cage and get scared.

Territorial behaviors will often help with getting her spayed and she’s also in the stage when hormones will act up even more.

Do the doe live together in the same cage?

If they aren’t smells can make her become more defensive towards you because you smell like the other rabbit.

I did try to work with her and gain her trust.. at first my other doe was terrified of me so I spent about a hour a day sitting in a Xpen with both of them and now that doe is very tame,my aggressive doe made some progress but then a day later started going backwards in progress to the point I couldn’t go on.I will try using different things as treats I’m going to wait about a week or so more to give her leafy greens because her mother was on a pellet only diet and She’s still young I don’t think her immune system is strong enough.she loves pellets but she is so scared of me that when I offer her a treat or something she loves she stands on two feet and scratches me or thumps her feet and runs away.Both my does do live together they don’t act aggressive to each other.They clean each other and (though I have two food bowls)they still insist on eating from the same bowl.

Aha, then you can make sure to have the pellet ratio on you all the time. When she comes up and sniff you give a treat slowly. She will slowly build up her trust but it can take months.

Myself had an aggressive buck, so I always had treats in my pockets when handling him, still do. I often divides his pellets so I get more and could give him.

Then I slowly worked from there, sometimes spending hours with him or just 10 minutes during the day. So long as you work everyday with her, she will become a more secured rabbit.

I avoided all the cage actions until he had become more secured with me. When the rabbits become more secured with you and have a little trust, you can start to work on the situation she finds scary. Those situations that triggers defensive movements from her like attacking.

Often when they had a stressful situation they often regress and go back a few steps, maybe being pushed to hard. But you will have to keep on going, taking a few steps back again and then build up. For my buck when he regress it takes 2 weeks until he comes back. But then you start again with facing the things the rabbit find scary.

Myself it took 6 months of training with my buck to make him stop attacking humans. So patience and perseverance it’s something you will need to have.

Myself also meet step backs with him but it’s how he approach me now instead of biting, lunging, screaming and grunting. He will be a little pulled back if I pushed him too much, for example he dosen’t like people moving. But I still keep giving him pellets when he comes to me, so I force him to interact with humans, even though he’s still insecure. But I never chase after him or force myself on him, I let him slowly walk up to the hand, grab the pellet and run away. So himself can decide to interact.

When you see her stop attacking you for example: maybe she was going to bite you but stopped herself from doing it, wait until a little calm and give a treat. No biting means she behaved right.

For example my rabbit still get scared he will lung at me but always stop when he notice it’s me. I give him a treat when he pulls back from attacking and let me give him a pet.

I hope everything goes well with your doe, some rabbits take ages to win their trust and love but so long as you got patience. It all will become good.

My once aggressive buck but still a really cowardly bunny, that gave me a lot of bruises, sleeping in the kitchen where a lot of people move around without being scared.

He’s one of the cuddle buns I have, so I often have him in the couch cuddling and watching movies or series, he’s 1 year old now.

So keep on working with your bun, even thought you will sometimes think everything just doesn’t work. She might be a really lovely bunny when you manage to get to know her and winning her trust. You can never know :)

IMG_4876.jpg

Aha, then you can make sure to have the pellet ratio on you all the time. When she comes up and sniff you give a treat slowly. She will slowly build up her trust but it can take months.

Myself had an aggressive buck, so I always had treats in my pockets when handling him, still do. I often divides his pellets so I get more and could give him.

Then I slowly worked from there, sometimes spending hours with him or just 10 minutes during the day. So long as you work everyday with her, she will become a more secured rabbit.

I avoided all the cage actions until he had become more secured with me. When the rabbits become more secured with you and have a little trust, you can start to work on the situation she finds scary. Those situations that triggers defensive movements from her like attacking.

Often when they had a stressful situation they often regress and go back a few steps, maybe being pushed to hard. But you will have to keep on going, taking a few steps back again and then build up. For my buck when he regress it takes 2 weeks until he comes back. But then you start again with facing the things the rabbit find scary.

Myself it took 6 months of training with my buck to make him stop attacking humans. So patience and perseverance it’s something you will need to have.

Myself also meet step backs with him but it’s how he approach me now instead of biting, lunging, screaming and grunting. He will be a little pulled back if I pushed him too much, for example he dosen’t like people moving. But I still keep giving him pellets when he comes to me, so I force him to interact with humans, even though he’s still insecure. But I never chase after him or force myself on him, I let him slowly walk up to the hand, grab the pellet and run away. So himself can decide to interact.

When you see her stop attacking you for example: maybe she was going to bite you but stopped herself from doing it, wait until a little calm and give a treat. No biting means she behaved right.

For example my rabbit still get scared he will lung at me but always stop when he notice it’s me. I give him a treat when he pulls back from attacking and let me give him a pet.

I hope everything goes well with your doe, some rabbits take ages to win their trust and love but so long as you got patience. It all will become good.

My once aggressive buck but still a really cowardly bunny, that gave me a lot of bruises, sleeping in the kitchen where a lot of people move around without being scared.

He’s one of the cuddle buns I have, so I often have him in the couch cuddling and watching movies or series, he’s 1 year old now.

So keep on working with your bun, even thought you will sometimes think everything just doesn’t work. She might be a really lovely bunny when you manage to get to know her and winning her trust. You can never know :)

View attachment 39896
Thank youuuuu !!!I really adore this rabbit I’m going to be patient and win her over I guess some come easier than others .

It sounds like your girls are young... are they still intact? They sound hormonal to me.

When those hormones kick in, rabbits can become grumpy, aggressive, and ornery.

Yes they are still intact,although I noticed this behavior since we picked her up at 6 weeks old.Is it possible for her to be hormonal at that age ?

Six weeks is a touch early, hormonal behaviors start to present @ around 4 months in a medium sized breed but not sure of what type of bunnies you have though. Honestly it sounds like it's just fear based at this time. A lot of changes in a very short period of time. I would strongly suggest looking to getting them fixed now as you mentioned you've had them for close to 2 months and you'll be starting to see behavioral issues and dont want to risk a broken bond between the two. As stated bonding will take time and yes some longer than others you have to go at their speed. I also have had instances of aggression and been thoroughly frustrated and saddened by it, patience is key as the other commentors have said. One thing I have found that helps as well is if you have something with your scent inside their enclosure, something soft they can snuggle into, and associate your smell with soft snuggle time. It should be washable and worn by you, an old t-shirt or sweater or a small fleece throw blanket that you slept with, and something that's not going to make you upset if they dig or bite a few holes in it (in their minds for fun and redecorating purposes). I have quite a few that I rotate through enclosures and laundry. Respect the animal and their space and personality and they will do the same for you (eventually) they're all individuals the same as us.

Six weeks is a touch early, hormonal behaviors start to present @ around 4 months in a medium sized breed but not sure of what type of bunnies you have though. Honestly it sounds like it's just fear based at this time. A lot of changes in a very short period of time. I would strongly suggest looking to getting them fixed now as you mentioned you've had them for close to 2 months and you'll be starting to see behavioral issues and dont want to risk a broken bond between the two. As stated bonding will take time and yes some longer than others you have to go at their speed. I also have had instances of aggression and been thoroughly frustrated and saddened by it, patience is key as the other commentors have said. One thing I have found that helps as well is if you have something with your scent inside their enclosure, something soft they can snuggle into, and associate your smell with soft snuggle time. It should be washable and worn by you, an old t-shirt or sweater or a small fleece throw blanket that you slept with, and something that's not going to make you upset if they dig or bite a few holes in it (in their minds for fun and redecorating purposes). I have quite a few that I rotate through enclosures and laundry. Respect the animal and their space and personality and they will do the same for you (eventually) they're all individuals the same as us.

thank you so much for the tips and help ...I have a old shirt that I can give them :)

Latest posts

Back