she is acting "off"

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
i just got her spayed a couple of weeks ago, and this last week i have noticed a change in her. she use to want out of the cage right away in the morning (i have a NIC cage and i put aanimal play pen around it so that she can have more room, she just sits in her cage. she is pooping and peeing, and eating but it is different. she doesnt eat right away in the morning anymore, i usually dump her litter every day and it seems that there is no poop in it till the afternoon, and that is when she eats now. She just sits around in her cage, she will come out in the penned area and jump around but it is for a short time and them back off into the cage she goes to sit. i thought maybe the weather but when it is hot i put the air on (except yesterday the CA was broke:grumpy: and we were all miserable and sitting around, but it is fixed now :biggrin2:)

should i be worried that she is "acting" different with no other signs of problems? she has taken up chewing the colorplast in her cage, which she didnt do till the operation, and she has a ton , ton, ton,ton, of toys, all shapes and sizes and textures to play with. TIA

sincerely

The Spaz mommy, lol

Is it possible this is just her hormones settling down? That might account for the change of behaviour. Plus maybe she has just got in a new habit of when to eat due to the op and when she first ate after that.

Is it possible she was chewing things because of pain, and again, got into the habit of it?

Do you feel that she is ill? Or just behaving differently?

Is it possible she was chewing things because of pain, and again, got into the habit of it?
oh great, what a nice habbit to get into, lol. i hope that, that is it.

Do you feel that she is ill? Or just behaving differently?

just behaving differently, but i was afraid that it might be due to something else. But all the other things you look for like appetite, poo and pee are all ok, i was a little worried.

thanks i dont feel so nuts now ,lol, i just get worried becuase i dont want to be sitting here down the line thinking i should have seent he signs :shock:.

thanks for responding :biggrin2:

That's a nice pretty font, lol.

You don't need to feel nuts, and I'm really glad that you feel less nuts now, lol. I always ALWAYS stress if my rabbits behave differently. Sometimes they come in for a run around, but are really lethargic and just sleep, so I stress, then I remind myself that it's windy outside so they probably didn't get a decent nights sleep.

Hopefully this is just due to habit changes, circumstances changing and hormones.

If the poo, pee and stuff are all good, then hopefully there is no need to worry, but maybe just be a bit vigilant to see if anything else changes. Of course, if you are worried, you could always take her for a checkup at the vets.

Hmmm......well I have never neutered or spayed a bunny, becuase Benji was already done and Pippin is only a baby, but I might be able to help.

As you probably know, spaying takes longer, and seems to be a more stressful procedure, becuase it actually has to be an operation.

I've heard that males after being neutered come home fine, wanting food etc. straight away, but females after spaying can come home and not eat, and just want to sit in a corner, so I wouldn't worry unless it persists.

As long as she's eating and drinking fine, and doesn't seem listless then I think she's fine. She may just be a bit confused etc. after being away from home and having a painful belly- and also she will not have all the hormones any more that she had, so she could just be getting used to that.

Hope this helps.

sorry about the font, i thought it would just highlight the text,l ol

thanks for the replies, i hope she gets back to her old self soon :)

Noooooooooo, don't be sorry, I thought it was pretty :)

Plus it illustrated your point well.

Yes, I hope she gets back to her old self soon too, ora new self:D.

I gave both of mine a phone book earlier this week, oh boy the fun they have. Espeically, Angel, who doesn't "play" with any of her toys.

If she seems playful, but not playing by tomorrow, maybe give her a phone book and see what she does. Just a thought;). Maybe that'll make her snap out of it:p.

Keep us posted.

Pay attention to her poo, if you don't feel she is pooing like she used to, a visit to the vet won't hurt. Like you said, its best to pay attention to all the signs, even if later they turn out to be nothing.

If you suspect she chews because of pain, maybe its a good idea to call your vet and let him/her know what's going on and she/he could spared your bunny some pain.

well the other day i thought i would spice up her life with a new toy so i got an empty beer box cut open the front and put in a straw mat and she is having a ball. the kids were laughing at her because she had a hole chewed in the back and she was peeking out at them , and when she really gets into chewing the box moves all over the place, lol. this morning she was at the front door of her cage pulling on it to come out, so we will see how it goes today and see if she is more peppy. I dont "think" there is anything wrong, as far as there being no signs that you would "normally" see, so hopefully it is just still doing with the spay and her getting back to herself.

i do have to say a real nice change in her since she has been spayed is that she uses the box 98% of the time. before she would do good during the day but then at night it was hit or miss, i would find pellets inher bed on the second level, and all over the first level. it was like she had a party at night when i went ot bed and i have to say now i barely pick up any poo outside of the box and she pee'd just once outside the box. i hope this is a habbit that she doesnt break :biggrin2:

I'm really glad she's okay and getting back to normal- it sounds like it was the spay to me. Obviously still keep an eye on her, but I wouldn't worry too much about it any more.
As long as she's eating, drinking and pooing normally- and she seems to be playing as well so that's good.

Glad things are getting better :)

thanks everyone for easing my mind, i will say something to a friend or family that doesnt have a rabbit and they th ink i am nuts :shock::biggrin2::shock: i come here for rabbit talk cause you all are as nuts as i am........................ about our BUNS :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back