She hates my boyfriend

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whipple

Reaction score
Ok, so my bunny hates my boyfriend. It all started when we got her the ex pen and moved her to it. It took forever to catch her, and eventually I had to use a towel cuz she was running after us! I am the one that caught her though, and we have no issues now unless she thinks Im gonna try and pick her up. My boyfriend though, she will just run after him. I find it kinda funny.

Anyhow, I was just wondering if I just have to wait until she trusts me to pick her up? I am planning on giving her tons of time to adjust, but how long does it *typically* take? And how can I get her and my boyfriend on better terms?

I've had my rabbits for 6 or 7 months. They still hate being picked up. I'm pretty sure they always will.

I sat in a bathtub with all of my buns individually and just sat there played DS totally ignored them. I got this idea from RO and it really helped the bonding process. or u could go in a neutral area and do the same. Bunnies hate to b ignored, give it time, and she will come around.

Also I use a squirt bottle filled with water, if my buns do something like yours does I would squirt them with water and give a firm NO

I would suggest just not picking her up unless you really have to. It sounds like shes a typical rabbit and does not enjoy it. Over time she might come to allow you to pick her up, but its not like shes going to one day love it.

With this in mind its probably best not to force something on her that shes doesn't like, even if she grows to allow you to. There are plenty of other ways to bond and snuggle.

Rabbits are prey animals so when you lift them up off the ground, in their minds, they might as well be in the talons of a raptor! It's a scary experience. Try getting to know your bun at bun-level; on the floor.

I agree with the above post about not picking her up. but I'de sit and read or talk with your bf in a relativly empty room and wait for her to get curious. worked for me :) I get followed and bunny licks now. before I wasnt allowed to touch him

Is she spayed? Her chasing after you and your boyfriend sounds territorial. Spaying usually decreases this, but some buns are just super territorial regardless.

My rabbit hated to be picked up, too, but I wanted her to learn to tolerate it so it wouldn't be such an issue (because eventually, you have to pick a rabbit up. To put in a carrier, trim nail, etc.) We were well bonded before I started, but what worked was to pick her up briefly, then set her down and immediately give her a treat. Now she expects a treat every time she's picked up, and runs over to where the treats are once she's down. Still, we rarely pick her up, just when needed or every now and then briefly (followed by a treat) to reinforce her good behavior so she knows that being picked up can be for something good, not just vet visits and nail trims.

My Nethie Racer HATES being picked up, so i dont even try, every night during play time im chasing him around into a corner with my large litter tray, and try to coerce him into hopping into the litter tray which i then pick up and carry him back to his cage.

When i pat him and he flattens out and relaxes, i also use that as a chance to quickly pick him up and put him into the litter tray.

Try that.

Latest posts

Back