She drinks A LOT...problem?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PupTheRabbit

Reaction score
Hey,
Ever since I got Luna she has always been a big drinker (ha, sounds funny now that I type it out). She drinks much more than Pup, and I fill her water bottle up more often than his too. The thing is, she's had a big thirst ever since I got her, so it hasn't increased or anything. But still, could there be an underlying issue? Or is it normal and good that she drinks a lot. She's a healthy, spayed girl, and always gobbles up her food and looooves hay.

The reason I ask all of a sudden is because I filled her water bottle halfway yesterday and I woke up this morning to it being empty!

Help!

Thumper drinks a lot. I think some bunnies just drink more than others just like some humans. You may want to think of either getting her a larger water bottle or try seeing if she will drink from a bowl. Any bowl should either be of a heavy material so it can not be tipped by the bun or a bowl that attaches to the cage.

The girls bowl is a medium sized ceramic dog bowl and Thumper is a medium sized metal dog bowl that attaches to the cage.

I suggest this because you do not want your bun to run out of water as hydration is important for keeping the gut contents moving and if she is drinking that much from a bottle then I would think she spends a lot of time drinking as they can only get so much out of a bottle at a time.

thank you. last time i tried using a water bowl for her, she managed to not only knock it over but before that, got poop and bedding, and hay in there. so that's why i stuck with the water bottle!

How long have you had her and how old was she when you got her? Increased water consumption can be a sign of disease, but rabbits also drink more on average relative to their body size than many other species. If you think she's drinking more than a normal rabbit would, I'd try and keep track of the quantity of water she's drinking and bring it up with your vet.

Latest posts

Back