She doesn’t play with toys

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMomDelux

Reaction score
I just took in a new not yet spayed rabbit and I’ve offered her every type of toy and she’s showing zero interest. She’s very food motivated so I tried hiding treats in some or rubbing banana on it & nothing. I’ve tried hiding treats in her hay to encourage foraging & she really seemed confused where the treat went even though I showed her.
She’s otherwise energetic healthy & absolutely affectionate.
I’m concerned she’s bored when I’m gone. I’m not able to get her spayed because of lockdown in my region is unusually oppressive.

Very few of my rabbits played with toys. They did, however, enjoy exploring. Tunnels, cardboard boxes with doorways cut out... this is what they liked to climb in and around. When they bored of it, I'd swap out boxes or re-arrange them.

Attachments

• boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg
    boxes fun orange border lower res.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 5
Rabbit play is most often different than the type of play you expect from other pets like cats and dogs. Rabbits play by exhibiting natural behaviors, like chewing, digging, practicing their hiding and escape moves and routes.

So things like shredding up cardboard boxes and paper, chewing up willow or grass mats and tunnels, chewing rabbit safe wood branches, running around and exploring rooms and tunnels, mapping out where they can run and hide if they get nervous.

Most rabbits don't play with toys or objects unless it's to get to something they contain like food,. And then they aren't really playing with the object but are just trying to get to the food they want. Or they may chew or dig through boxes or other things to move them out of their escape path or to rearrange their environment to suit the way they want it to be.

I would suggest trying the things that Blue eyes mentioned, like cardboard boxes(provided your rabbit mostly shreds the boxes and isn't actually consuming more than tiny bits, if any at all), newspaper or old phone books to shred up, dig boxes filled with crumpled newspaper to dig in and shred, safe digging spaces outdoors in the soil, rabbit safe branches or other safe natural things like willow baskets, grass mats, or grass tunnels to chew and destroy.

It's really just a matter of finding the things that your particular rabbit likes, as not all rabbits like to do the same activities. Activity level and what they like, has to do with individual personalities, hormones, and metabolism. Some are more energetic than others. Some are busy little things that will try and destroy anything not rabbit proofed, if given the chance. And then there are some that love nothing more than to laze about in front of a warm fireplace or heater in winter, sit by a cool air vent in summer, or lay next to their owner getting head rubs. Also keeping in mind that a rabbit laying around doesn't necessarily mean they're bored. Rabbits are generally most active in the early morning and late evening, and are pretty inactive during the middle of the day, preferring to mostly sleep during this time.

Very few of my rabbits played with toys. They did, however, enjoy exploring. Tunnels, cardboard boxes with doorways cut out... this is what they liked to climb in and around. When they bored of it, I'd swap out boxes or re-arrange them.
I’ll try more boxes & stuff. She has a tunnel toy I’ve seen her go inside once :p
Maybe I’ll hide bits of hay and Timothy treats in there for her. I also like to rearrange furniture (at least once a month) maybe I’ll pull things out from the wall and tuck more tunnels behind.
plus I can help her out with her #1 favourite pastime: cuddles from mama bun 🥰

Thanks for explaining why spay surgery has to be postponed for a while. Hope in time you can book the appt. Meanwhile -- you are very considerate to be thinkng about stimulation toys!

From our experiences with fosters, rescues, and family members, certain buns like jingle toys, the cut-off bottom parts of digestible cardboard boxes, or toys to pick up and toss. Basically the stuff sold in pet stores gets ignored.

We have a percentage of buns who like the jingly sound of a sturdy baby rattle or cat toy. Best to make sure nothing plastic can be ingested.
A simply toy would be to notch the ends of an empty toilet tissue roll and fill with tempting hay. You might also try a lunch bag half filled with hay(twisted closed on the top) and perhaps hide a raisin or two inside? If alfalfa is allowed, mix in aromatic and tempting alfalfa strands.

Two or three Mason canning jar rings with a hard plastic baby link have intrigued oiur crew The clanky canning rings make a similar jangly sound when picked up and tossed. Please be sure nothing circular (cardboard from oatmeal box, willow ring, you name it) can accidentally get over somebun's head and neck and cause strangulation or stress and death in the process. For the bottom of Quaker old-fashionted oatmeal "toys", I slice the circular round to prevent a stress-indusive death.

Our harlequin unwanted male (now a permanent sanctuary member) loves to carry around the bottom of cracker boxes in his mouth (like a dog might do with a chew toy or stuffie. Hope the ideas help!

Momma (adopted from shelter and transitioning to our home after giving birth at the shelter, all her babies died as she had coccidiosis) is shown in 2009 with some of her stimulation toys.

Attachments

• JSBPhotoCR_MommaTossingToyJun29_2009RST2.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_MommaTossingToyJun29_2009RST2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 2
  • JSBPhotoCR_PapaNMommaFamRmPlaytimeFeb2212RST2.jpg
    JSBPhotoCR_PapaNMommaFamRmPlaytimeFeb2212RST2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 2
Ditto on @JBun input. They all have unique personalities. Some will like toys, and specific types of toys, whereas others are less interested.

Immense thanks for providing toys and determining if jingle or toss 'n' play items are their favorites. Or simply to tooth purr or be held by their guardian as they mellow and reach senior status. Or scamper thru various cardboard V-tents while they push a crumpled piece of newspaper out of the way.

Attachments

• FosterGirlBonnie_2014_inTempXpenRST.jpg
    FosterGirlBonnie_2014_inTempXpenRST.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3
  • FosterGirlBonnie2014_HidingTunnelAndToyPhotosRST.jpg
    FosterGirlBonnie2014_HidingTunnelAndToyPhotosRST.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back