she bit me!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippity18

Reaction score
Ok so my bunny has developed a recent habit where every time i pick her up to hold her she bites me and then tries to get away? why is this? is she mad at me? i dont recall doing anything to upset her. i know she has been put through alot between 2 of my other bunnies (her friends) dying in horrible accidents but she has bonded with snowball my dwarf mix bunny. and they are inseparable it seems like everytime i take her away from snowball her ears shake and she gets scared like something is going to happen to her next, poor thing, i am at a huge loss right now i guess it will just have to take time i hope she will see nothing is going to happen to her??? advice would be great thanks guys!

Is she spayed? My girl is 17 weeks old now and her hormones are driving her crazy, she bit and drew blood last week... I am booking her spay when I go in on Weds too have my Boy fixed! The sooner she is spayed and the hormones die down she will calm down.

Hi Candee, some rabbits just don't like being picked up. My Winston HATES it and fights me when I pick him up.

I also know rabbits are very intellegent animals, she probably thinks that her new bonded friend is not going to be there when you put her back down. I would not pick her up, get down on the floor with her to pet her and play with her.

Good Luck.

Susan:)

Sounds like she doesn't like being picked up and is trying aversion training on you. Best not to let her learn that biting will get her what she wants. When you pick her up, hold her facing out so she can't turn and bite. Will take a little practice but it is a bad habit for a bunny to learn.

Try holding Snowball and her together so she can get use to being held.

Or wrap her in a towel and hold her that way until she is comfortable with you.

What worked with Smudge and I when she started biting was temporarily wearing clean work gloves. After she bit me a few times through the gloves (it did not hurt)so I continued holding her, she decided the whole biting because you are picked up thing would not work and she stopped. I no longer wear gloves to pick her up unless she is in one of her crazy moods.

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi Candee, some rabbits just don't like being picked up. My Winston HATES it and fights me when I pick him up.

I also know rabbits are very intellegent animals, she probably thinks that her new bonded friend is not going to be there when you put her back down. I would not pick her up, get down on the floor with her to pet her and play with her.

Good Luck.

Susan:)
you know what that sounds like a great idea lol

Pharfly wrote:
Is she spayed? My girl is 17 weeks old now and her hormones are driving her crazy, she bit and drew blood last week... I am booking her spay when I go in on Weds too have my Boy fixed! The sooner she is spayed and the hormones die down she will calm down.
no she isnt spayed and her hormones probably are driving her nuts! i think i will look into spaying thanks hun!

LadyKat wrote:
What worked with Smudge and I when she started biting was temporarily wearing clean work gloves. After she bit me a few times through the gloves (it did not hurt)so I continued holding her, she decided the whole biting because you are picked up thing would not work and she stopped. I no longer wear gloves to pick her up unless she is in one of her crazy moods.
lol one of her crazy moods? i know the feeling! thanks!

I have some problem with Binky too sometime ago b'cos of the way i carry. I was bitten a few times. Now Binky has gotten use to me carrying. Most people would be scared of being drawing blood, but i think the glove method is quite good:thumbup. Would spaying helps in the biting and handling?

i think it should help the behavior and calm her down. the glove idea has worked so far she bites and bites then just gives up and then i feed her a piece of cilantro thats her favorite :)

Latest posts

Back