Shaving Rabbit Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arimabarii

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm in an interesting predicament. I work at an animal hospital where a rabbit was abandoned. This little buddy is in pretty bad shape, I think it's an Angora. It has a severe flea infestation which we are treating but it is also completely matted all over, to the point where it needs shaving. It's so bad we can't even sex the poor thing. I have decided I will be adopting and taking home this rabbit, and therefore I need to figure out a way to shave it. The mats are tight and if pulled on the rabbit obviously reacts badly, and I don't think it'll take kindly to the sound of clippers. My mom is a groomer with experience with specifically Angora rabbits, so the actual act of shaving isn't what concerns me. I have no idea how to help her keep the rabbit still, or keep the rabbit calm while she tries to shave it, and I obviously do not want to hurt or stress this poor bud, it's been through enough. Does anyone have any tips or advice on safely holding the rabbit so she can shave it? As I said the mats are tight and we know rabbit skin is thin so it moving suddenly and harshly is a very big concern. I already asked the vet here if sedation would be an option but it's been decided that it's in too rough a shape to be safely sedated. We want to handle this as soon as possible because the fleas probably won't be successfully killed until we can get rid of all these mats. I've attached an image of said little friend in case that helps in any way. The top coat is ok, but the mats are very severe underneath. It's basically solid mat on either side of the cheeks even.20190922_113714.jpg

Very pretty rabbit perhaps you could use scissors? There are many videos on youtube about shearing angora rabbits, I know your situation is a bit different but still you can pick some tips.

Hello all, I'm in an interesting predicament. I work at an animal hospital where a rabbit was abandoned. This little buddy is in pretty bad shape, I think it's an Angora. It has a severe flea infestation which we are treating but it is also completely matted all over, to the point where it needs shaving. It's so bad we can't even sex the poor thing. I have decided I will be adopting and taking home this rabbit, and therefore I need to figure out a way to shave it. The mats are tight and if pulled on the rabbit obviously reacts badly, and I don't think it'll take kindly to the sound of clippers. My mom is a groomer with experience with specifically Angora rabbits, so the actual act of shaving isn't what concerns me. I have no idea how to help her keep the rabbit still, or keep the rabbit calm while she tries to shave it, and I obviously do not want to hurt or stress this poor bud, it's been through enough. Does anyone have any tips or advice on safely holding the rabbit so she can shave it? As I said the mats are tight and we know rabbit skin is thin so it moving suddenly and harshly is a very big concern. I already asked the vet here if sedation would be an option but it's been decided that it's in too rough a shape to be safely sedated. We want to handle this as soon as possible because the fleas probably won't be successfully killed until we can get rid of all these mats. I've attached an image of said little friend in case that helps in any way. The top coat is ok, but the mats are very severe underneath. It's basically solid mat on either side of the cheeks even.View attachment 43117
I have 3 Angoras. He is on fact, an Angora. Poor baby. I will tell you that mine are 3 years and 5 years and they still do not like haircuts! Get some Rescue Remedy. They sell it at Walmart. Give a few drops, wait 30 minutes and then give a few more. You will have to do it in sessions as it will for sure stress him out. Holding him will make him freak out. I have an xpen and I sit in there and do little pieces at a time- most of it is scissor work but I have learned to be SUPER careful as they will jump sometimes and their skin is like tissue paper! Have some super glue on hand (not joking) and some Vetericyn Spray. No offense to your mom or anyone else but you cannot shave them with clippers like you would a dog or cat. It will not work and he will get horrible skin burn from the clippers. You also cannot use the guards on Angoras- fur is too thick. The cheeks are also very difficult when they are like that.
Where are you located? I would be more than happy to come cut him for you and show you how to do it yourself and maintain his fur. It is very hard for first time Angora owners. Trust me- I know! LOL
He looks like my Wally. I would love to come help you!

Very pretty rabbit perhaps you could use scissors? There are many videos on youtube about shearing angora rabbits, I know your situation is a bit different but still you can pick some tips.

Unless you know your rabbit inside and out and their every single move, as well as can predict their moves, I would not recommend doing it the way in this video. I have been giving Angoras haircuts for 3 years (I have 3 of them) and this video makes me cringe. This is the absolute best case scenario and most of us do not live in that world.
For one, they make safety scissors that have a rounded end. Those should be used- regardless of how good you think you are. Bunnies have skin like tissue paper and they also get spooked, jump, move, etc. and you can stab them in an instant this way.
Also, you should not flip them on their back this way. Not only is this bunny's head tilted towards the floor but doing this puts them in a "trance". They are not just being good. This trance is not a good thing unless an emergency arises.
Please do not do it this way.

Latest posts

Back