Share your pellet slurry formula(s)...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
If you use a pellet slurry formula for syringe-feeding, please, share it with us RO members.

Assuming that you use a coffee grinder to break down pellets, please share how thoroughly that you grind them. Do you turn them into a powder, or just grind them until they're maybe half of their normal size, etc.?

Thank you,

Jenk

Last edited:
I think most of us just use critical care when we have a sick rabbit that needs syringe feeding. Though there is this other premixed one that looks interesting to me, cause it does't have the added sugars of critical care, and uses natural herbs. But it's pricey.
http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/remedies/syringe-feeding.html

I thought about grinding some plain alfalfa/timothy hay pellets I have, to use for when I have sick rabbits. I have two megacolon rabbits, so digestive problems are pretty common, and I have to syringe feed when that heppens. I've used critical care in the past, but with one of my megacolon rabbits, he can't tolerate the sugars in critical care. So I thought of grinding up the hay pellets. I haven't thought about adding anything to it yet. I have yet to do the grinding though. I think I would do it a more powdery consistancy, cause I would be using it for syringe feeding. I suppose if it's for a rabbit that can still eat on it's own but needs to have pellet mush, a coarser grind would work.

Last edited:
I don't have critical care, so when I have a sick rabbit I grind pellets in a blender until they're as fine as I can get them and mix them with water. Sometimes I still have a hard time with the syringe getting clogged though.

I just can't use regular pellets cause of the sensitive stomachs my rabbits have. Heck, that's why I can't even use critical care for one of my buns, and have to do my own special sick bunny feeding powder. Though I do like the idea of having a feeding mix on hand for sick buns, that doesn't have any added sugar. I still haven't tried grinding them up yet. I'm thinking about using my wheat grinder to grind up the hay pellets. It's just a hand grinder, so not much of a risk accidentally ruining it, and it should get it to a fine enough texture to not have problems syringe feeding. I hope it works :)

Latest posts

Back