Shampoo for feet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MandaRae

Reaction score
Hello! We are new and just picked up out Dutch Bunny. Her feet are kind of gross. Can I use my Burts bees waterless shampoo for cats?
What suggestions do you have?
Thank you!

If it's just dirt it will eventually wear off, or I would use a wet warm (not too warm) clothing and try to remove the dirt with that is she lets it.
No chemicals. Also Rabbits are really clean creatures: no shampoo/washing are required. (Yes, some idiots still managed to produce "Rabbit shampoo" products.....useless) A healthy Rabbit would smell really good if you were to stick your nose into the fur.

But I think the main concern here is: why is it dirty? Maybe she has some kind of feet problem/disease, or peeing problems? (In this case the "washing off" would probably cause more "bad" than "good")
Which feet are dirty? Could you take a photo?

Last edited:
If a rabbit had gotten muddy or something like that I do not see much harm in using a bit of baby shampoo or a natural shampoo or just a basic gentle bar soap. Likely just dipping the feet in water if needed or wiping it off with a wet washcloth might help. I have used the waterless shampoo before that is for small animals. Right now my rabbit has a stain on her white fur from my daughter who had used food coloring and thought it was off of her before picking up the rabbit. The stain has grown out. My prescription rabbit when we got her there was the rabbit cage with a wire bottom and a large handmade playpen. I think her feet were urine stained when we got her. I used the No shampoo type cleaner on her paws. It helped but wasn’t anything amazing.

I'm very reluctant to put any chemicals on rabbits. Stained feet are just a cosmetical issue that will resolve itself once the reason for the staining is dealt with. No need to intervene unless you're going to a rabbit show.

I had a buck with severe health issues that needed a thorough but bath now and then, I used simple dog shampoo for that (not much, just where needed, and I always gave a good rinse). I'm still using up that 1kg bottle for my own hair since it's tear-free and without any scent (I hate perfumed stuff, smells all chemical to me) :D.

Mud or dirt etc. the rabbit would spread throughout the house can be removed with plain. lukewarm water. and using a washing cloth. Just make sure to get as little fur as possible wet, rabbit fur once soaked really doesn't dry well.

If it's just dirt it will eventually wear off, or I would use a wet warm (not too warm) clothing and try to remove the dirt with that is she lets it.
No chemicals. Also Rabbits are really clean creatures: no shampoo/washing are required. (Yes, some idiots still managed to produce "Rabbit shampoo" products.....useless) A healthy Rabbit would smell really good if you were to stick your nose into the fur.

But I think the main concern here is: why is it dirty? Maybe she has some kind of feet problem/disease, or peeing problems? (In this case the "washing off" would probably cause more "bad" than "good")
Which feet are dirty? Could you take a photo?
I did use a warm cloth and they look okay now. The place we got her from was...not very clean ☹

That's great to hear! Be on the lookout for her feet for especially in the upcoming weeks. Almost no dirt or any coloring should be present.
If you notice this dirt or whatever reappering it is an indication that something is wrong, that might require a vet.

That's great to hear! Be on the lookout for her feet for especially in the upcoming weeks. Almost no dirt or any coloring should be present.
If you notice this dirt or whatever reappering it is an indication that something is wrong, that might require a vet.
I think it was the condition she was in. They had a bunch of rabbits but the cages were not very clean.

Now that your rabbit is in clean conditions, the staining will start to lighten up, and eventually when she next sheds her fur, the staining should pretty much be gone completely. If she were to have ongoing issues with urine soaked fur and/or the fur on the insides of her legs or on her rump continually being stained and wet, then it's likely there's a health issue causing it.

Latest posts

Back