sexing the kits!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luna21

Reaction score
At what age is it easier to sexe the kits? Itried it today, but when you press down and try to look, its so smallyou almost need a magnifine glass to see if its a slit or a cheerio!!!!I read that the doe will have a slit and that the buck will have acheerio, is this true? has anyone here sexed theyre own kitsbefore????? its because Im keeping one female to stay with her mom andI want to make sure its a female....LOL HELP!!!:p

Luna;):D

How old are they? I usually sex mine at 5 weeksbut it takes a lot of practice. Yes, does should have a "slit" andbucks should have a "cheerio". Or you might think of it as does have a"taco" and bucks have a "Donut". Don't know if that helps any, but Itried. If you haven't done too much of this before you'd be safer towait a few more weeks so it's easier to tell.

Kat

Well they were born March 31st so they are about3 weeks I think:pI have to look at my calender..LOLI think I will wait till they are about 6 weeks to be sure:D!!!!!! but so far I think I have one female and 3 malesfrom looking a few time and I mean a few times.....LOL

Luna

O wow! Yeah, I don't usually even try before 4weeks because they are so tiny. Need I remind you I raise Californians,New Zealands and Satins.... and they're still tiny at that old. Lol!Well, good luck.

Kat

P.S. Hope you don't have any "things" shake out from hitting a few too many bumps on the way to a show! lol!!! (does-bucks)

On the very young kits, you need to be careful not to damage the genitals.

You can gently pull the tail back a little -- the buck will have morespace between the "hole" and the rectum, where the doe's "taco" willtouch closely to the rim of the rectum. You can tell the sexof newborn kits with rather good accuracy using this method and thereis no chance of damaging or bruising the genitals because you are notpressing on them.

Pam

Pam, I never really thought of that. Neverreally needed to either I guess. We wait until atleast eight weeks tosell them for anything. I'll usually have mine picked out at 5 but anyearlier than that and I could get a "suprise" later with not gettingthe type I want. Thanks for the information though, I'll try that soon.

Kat

We normally don't bother until near-weaningeither -- however, we were very anxious to figure out what Matthew hadin his Polish litter :)

Pam

Latest posts

Back