severely matted fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohnobugzilla

Reaction score
My daughter and her friends found a rabbit in our alley yesterday, we walked around the neighborhood knocking on doors trying to find his owners with no luck.
I took him home and let him snuggle up with my guinea pig and eat some food. I looked him over a bit to determine age, sex and breed. What we thought was a large rabbit is actually a small mini lop with 90% of its body covered in dense matted fur.
I've tried shaving them out, my clippers won't touch them. I've tried cutting them out but they are plastered to his skin and I can't get him completely free of mats without risking cutting his skin.
Any other tips? His poor skin is weeping underneath the mats and there's no chance for new hair to grow. He can barely walk, I need a way to free him of the matted fur without risking hurting him.

I would suggest going to a rabbit savvy vet to get him shaved. They should know how to handle him and get the matting off. If there are issues with him skin, they can do what is needed to clean him up.

I agree, with matting that bad I would recommend getting a vet to do it. Rabbit skin is very fragile and tears easily so there is quite a risk of that in this case where the fur is so matted.

That poor rabbit. Its so good that you found him. I wonder if he is a fuzzy lop or cashmere lop- I have one and they are really hard to groom. It probably would be best to take him to the vet especially if there is weeping under the fur. There could be infection. Mine has gotten matts but I have the electric grooming sheers recommended for angora rabbits and I researched the blades and got the kind used on angoras... regular clipper blades didn't work.

I've also used rounded (not pointy) scissors to cut out mats, but you have to be super slow and careful, and I wear 2 pairs of reading glasses to cut the mats with those, its so easy to get the skin.

I've also heard people say they use seam rippers for sewing to cut out matts.

But all that said really I think you should take him to the vet, especially if the skin is weeping. Poor baby.

-----
Also, on a different note, putting rabbits and guinea pigs together is a bit controversial, some say rabbits and guinea pigs carry different flora and bacterias in their guts that are good for them but bad for the other- if that makes sense. So they can make each other sick.

That poor rabbit. Its so good that you found him. I wonder if he is a fuzzy lop or cashmere lop- I have one and they are really hard to groom. It probably would be best to take him to the vet especially if there is weeping under the fur. There could be infection. Mine has gotten matts but I have the electric grooming sheers recommended for angora rabbits and I researched the blades and got the kind used on angoras... regular clipper blades didn't work.

I've also used rounded (not pointy) scissors to cut out mats, but you have to be super slow and careful, and I wear 2 pairs of reading glasses to cut the mats with those, its so easy to get the skin.

But all that said really I think you should take him to the vet, especially if the skin is weeping. Poor baby.

-----
Also, on a different note, putting rabbits and guinea pigs together is a bit controversial, some say rabbits and guinea pigs carry different flora and bacterias in their guts that are good for them but bad for the other- if that makes sense. So they can make each other sick.

Thanks for all the replies. My vet doesn't see rabbits so I'll have to find a reputable vet that does. I got a decent amount of matting out but what's left is so dense I can't even get my trimming shears through it anymore.
The bunny/guinea cohabitation is temporary, it was the only place for him to stay (that wasn't my back alley) . He and my piggy love the company (my piggys bonded partner recently passed), but I figured he was only going to be with us a few hours until we found his owner. With the state of his fur I don't think anyone is putting up missing poster for him.

-----

We have been trying unsuccessfully all week and I saw the sewing seam ripper comment. I sew so I have one on hand. It was like a miracle!!! I can’t thank you enough

We have been trying unsuccessfully all week and I saw the sewing seam ripper comment. I sew so I have one on hand. It was like a miracle!!! I can’t thank you enough

That's great it helped! I will add a caution for anyone reading this in future. If a seam ripper is used, the pointy tip will need to be covered with something(eg. tape) to protect from inadvertently injuring the rabbit with it. Also, just as with scissors, caution needs to be used to prevent cutting into the skin when trimming the matts out.

Latest posts

Back