Severe weather and bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Out of this world bunnies

Reaction score
So i myself have four rabbits, 3 outside 1 inside cause of reasons of that one female but i live in a very tornado active state and i have ZERO clue on what to do with my bunnies in case of a storm! When i only had two i brought them in my tornado shelter with me and would do it again if i didn't have a neighborhood tornado shelter meaning my neighbors bring their dogs inside and it would stress out my buns alot! please give me some help i care so so so much about my bunnies and i just want the best for them <3

Better to bring them in then have them die outside.
The dogs should be kept on leash beside their owners.
Rabbits should be kept in carriers covered perhaps on the other side of the shelter from the dogs.
If it was me id just boot the neighbours out though.
they are really nice and do keep their dogs on leashes i don't have a clue where i would put them inside my house when i only had two i just put them in a carrier and covered them up away from the dogs.

I think Watermelons answered the question best. In the case of a tornado warning, you need to be prepared, and should have enough carriers to accommodate all of your bunnies in the event of this - or any other - event. The carriers are a temporary, but essential, need.

If it were me I wouldn't care. When we have had tornado warning we just run out and grab the rabbits out of there outside hutch and bring them in the basement with the family. I do have my own private full basement so its just the rabbits and cat, and us down there of course. But I would never leave any animal outside( except for large farm animals like cows or horses but farmers always turn the horses out of the barn so they can try to run away from the on coming tornado.) If its a public tornado shelter that means all the public. And if your bunny's are your pets like a dog or cat, I'm sure you neighbors wouldn't care about your bringing your rabbits also especially since they bring there dogs. To bad you don't have your own basement, because then you wouldn't have to worry. I (and my family) have always taken any small outside animals like dogs or cats into our basement during a tornado warning, so I have always done the same for our rabbits. Stay strong, you'll be fine. And I bet the dogs would get use to them in time and not bark anymore. If there outside I'm sure they hear dogs barking all the time from in your neighborhood so they may be use to it?? Not sure, just giving you my advice. I live in Illinois and the last tornado warning we had was 2 weeks ago( yes after Thanksgiving). Although I already had 2 rabbits in the basement my hurt disabled rabbit was in the kitchen with us already in her laundry basket so it was easy to pick up her basket and carry her to the basement while herding my 2 kids to the basement with me..lol Part of life right!! LOL

You should have enough carriers on hand to accommodate all your rabbits in the case of an emergency like this.

You should have enough carriers on hand to accommodate all your rabbits in the case of an emergency like this.
I have four and soon babies coming aswell so i don't know how i will fit them all in and how i will carry them all cause i am worried my family won't be careful, in the past my neighbors have understood and kept the dogs away from my rabbits i only had 2 then and i put them in the same carrier which i will NOT do with four.

You need to get several small dog carriers. Can you put any of the rabbits together? If you can put two rabbits in each carrier everything will be easier for you. So yes you need to bring them with you.

You need to get several small dog carriers. Can you put any of the rabbits together? If you can put two rabbits in each carrier everything will be easier for you. So yes you need to bring them with you.
i have 2 males and 2 females i could put the females together but not the males as they are not neutered.

I totally agree with Alyssa an Bugs when she says you shouldn't put any rabbits that aren't bonded together. Are any of your rabbits bonded?

Its for an emergency... just stick them together 2 per crate. Its not like they will be in there together for days.
Seperate by sexes if they arent fixed.
If they fight stick an extra towel in the crate on the bad bunny.
But its a hell of a lot safer to crate them and bring them with you then leave them to die in the storm.

Its for an emergency... just stick them together 2 per crate. Its not like they will be in there together for days.
Seperate by sexes if they arent fixed.
If they fight stick an extra towel in the crate on the bad bunny.
But its a hell of a lot safer to crate them and bring them with you then leave them to die in the storm.
do you think i could put a piece of cardboard/plastic in the crate to separate them? Cause my bucks have tried attacking each other before and i am not wanting either one of them dead.

Sticking them in a crate together temporarily is very different then sticking them in the same living cage or letting them run around together.
Often people use crates and car rides to force the bonding process because the rabbits are stressed over whats happening so they forget to be turds to each other.
You could easily try putting a piece of somethering in the crate between the. If youre worried. But honestly better that then them ending up dead or missing from a bad storm.

I live in Florida where we get hurricane and tornado warnings, have to evacuate sometimes. The rabbits each have their own carriers that they stay in until it passes. I put a towel over it if needed so they feel safer around other animals.
When I didn't have separate carriers for all of them, I've partitioned a carrier with some wire and a latice piece. You can other materials. I make sure to use thigs that are sturdy and chew-proof (I wouldn't use cardboard in most cases). I like using pieces of wire to attach each corner because they can't chew wire or pull it off. I don't use rope, zip-ties, or anything they can chew. Binder clips may work for some rabbits who are calm tempered and not interested in other rabbits or escaping, but others may pull them loose.
If the the rabbits want to attack each other, you might need something solid so they can't stick their nose through and bite each other. If you don't have a solid partition and your rabbits want to bite each other, you can put two partitions side-by-side and spaced apart so they can't reach.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back