Seperating mother from babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried it, unfortunately we've had this cage since my mother was pregnant with me, so that's thirteen years, it's old and a bit rusty. It's very hard to pull anything apart, so I'm limited to carrying her out or finding some way to hold it open for her.
But dang, that was a creative idea of yours! I loved it and if I could, I'd totally use it if my cage wasn't so old and unstable when anything is taken off.

I tried it, unfortunately we've had this cage since my mother was pregnant with me, so that's thirteen years, it's old and a bit rusty. It's very hard to pull anything apart, so I'm limited to carrying her out or finding some way to hold it open for her.
But dang, that was a creative idea of yours! I loved it and if I could, I'd totally use it if my cage wasn't so old and unstable when anything is taken off.
Why don't you get rid of the cage, and do a playpen set up like this: (picture taken from @Blue eyes blog). Rabbits need more room than you are giving Blossom. This link is very helpful when figuring out the housing setup: https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/setting-up-a-cage.html
8442104.jpg

I really would give her more room, but I can't because we barely had enough room for even that cage I use, an XPen would take up even more room and we don't have space for that unless we made her an outdoor rabbit like she used to be. I'm aware many people here would strongly disagree with me and my choice of habitat, but it was the best I could do for my bunny. Once she is used to her new home, I plan to allow her to spend many hours of the day outside the cage and only put her in when I'm away for an event of some sort. Violin lessons, piano lessons, music theory, and gymnastics. All of which only happen two days of the week.

I really would give her more room, but I can't because we barely had enough room for even that cage I use, an XPen would take up even more room and we don't have space for that unless we made her an outdoor rabbit like she used to be. I'm aware many people here would strongly disagree with me and my choice of habitat, but it was the best I could do for my bunny. Once she is used to her new home, I plan to allow her to spend many hours of the day outside the cage and only put her in when I'm away for an event of some sort. Violin lessons, piano lessons, music theory, and gymnastics. All of which only happen two days of the week.
What would you think of housing her outside? She was an outdoor bunny before, so she could be again. My rabbit is an outdoor rabbit and he lives in a playpen in our shed. There are many outdoor setup ideas on here: https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/outdoor-cages-post-your-photo.96732/. The attachment is Theo's set up in our shed.

Attachments

• 2019-12-27.jpg
    2019-12-27.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 6
I could try doing that in the summer. She could possibly stay in that old dog kennel my parents made when my father was training police dogs (He's a police man). It hasn't been used in forever and it could be an option. It's big enough for possibly a man of 6'5? Maybe taller. My father's 6'1 and could easily stand in it. and there's lots of room for a grown german shepherd to run in big circles.

PS: The kennel is kept under the deck, which means she'd also have shelter from rain, hail and snow.

I could try doing that in the summer. She could possibly stay in that old dog kennel my parents made when my father was training police dogs (He's a police man). It hasn't been used in forever and it could be an option. It's big enough for possibly a man of 6'5? Maybe taller. My father's 6'1 and could easily stand in it. and there's lots of room for a grown german shepherd to run in big circles.

PS: The kennel is kept under the deck, which means she'd also have shelter from rain, hail and snow.
She could be kept in that if it has the correct netting. It needs to be preditor proof.

It is predator-proof. The only animals that could possibly get in are bugs, small amphibians like salamanders, and a garter snake. We have no poisonous snakes around, so she’s safe even if a snake gets in.

Latest posts

Back