Senior Bun Falling and Can't Get Up

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suntop

Reaction score
Hi-

I have a senior mini rex with arthritis, and takes the following medication to manage pain:
-metacam daily
-gabapentin 3x/day
-adequan every 3 days

Her mobility is great overall and she loves to play, but she will spontaneously fall on her right side and is unable to get back up. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep her stable so she doesn't fall down? She's not in any pain when she falls because once I set her back up she goes back to playing and having fun in her playpen. My concern is that when she falls she fatigues herself trying to get back up and her mobility becomes impaired as a result. I have a nanny cam and playing things back it seems like the right back paw gives out on her. A few things:

-she tested negative for e cuniculi

-her playpen/environment is safe and her falls are not traction based

-although she is a senior, her health is perfect aside from arthritis and is an overall very happy bun. I really want to figure out a way to enhance her stability so her quality of life does not diminish.

I read about an owner putting a little foam donut on her bun's leg to help stabilization so may try that, and open to any other things owners have had success with. I've been scouring forums but still haven't found many options.

Thank you very much for your suggestions, we really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back