Selling Wool?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HareToday

Reaction score
Do any angora breeders also sell wool? I am very curious about showing a breed and harvesting wool would be a plus! Not to mention the fact that there are a ton of knitters in my family.

I do know when we go to shows with a big angora showing they do sell wool but also things made out of the wool. They are a very versatile rabbit. If I had the time and space to care for them I might consider it but daily grooming is a very hard task for me

The grooming really is a little off putting! I already have my hands full with grooming just my lionhead.

The amount of grooming can depend on the breed, lines, and individual rabbit. Angoras should have the coat blown out, rather than brushed. Brushing does remove wool, which isn't ideal. The blower opens up the coat, removes dander, and can keep the rabbit in good shape, brushing is usually reserved for the face, feet, and other areas that are harder to get with the blower. Daily grooming is usually not needed, weekly is usually good fro those with a nice coat. The coat does need to be clipped or plucked, which can be a lot of work. What what I have heard, it is usually younger rabbits that are shown, and once they are clipped, they are usually not shown too much more. It can depend on the breeder, but a full show coat can take 8-10 months to grow and be nice, so it's a lot more work. For wool, they are usually clipped every 3-4 months.

I am not sure I would recommend an angora as your first show rabbit since they are a lot of work compared to some other breeds. Do make sure to do more research and talk with angora breeders.

If you really aren't up for the grooming, then buy some wool if that is what you want. You could keep an angora for the wool, since that is a bit less work than a show coat.

A show coat does sound like quite a lot of work! You are right, it might be smarter to not show angoras and just consider them for the wool/as a pet. I know we were also considering Netherland Dwarf which would be an easier breed to work with.

Latest posts

Back