Seizure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Div22

Reaction score
Today my beautiful 3 year old dwarf lop rabbit passed away. He seemed a bit off last night and this morning as he wasn't eating much so took him to the vet first thing in the morning. She checked him out and said his vitals were fine and just to monitor him and give him antibiotics and put him on critical care until he started eating properly again. He actually seemed fine at the vets so after the diagnosis I thought I was silly to be so worried.
So brought him to mum's place to monitor and about an hour after he was there he started convulsing and died. The vet thinks it was neurological. Has anyone experienced this before? If so can you provide me some more info, I need closure. I'm heartbroken.

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

Same thing happened to my precious boy ages ago, I don't really know what happened. But it could of been a reaction to the antibiotic because some rabbits don't react well to it that's what I got told by the vet. Sorry for your loss

He's been on antibiotics before so I don't think it was them but that was my initial reaction too. God if it was the medicine that killed him I could never forgive the vet!

I'm so sorry about your rabbit. It is so hard when we lose them, especially when it is so suddenly.

It can be hard to determine a cause without a necropsy being done. It is possible it could have been a negative reaction to the medication, which is not something that can be predicted. It's also possible that your rabbit may have stopped eating due to an illness that was also the cause of the seizure. E. cuniculi or organ problems, are just some possibilities for seizures in rabbits. It sounds like you did everything you could to help your rabbit, and I'm sure he knew he was loved.

I am so sorry for the sudden loss...I can't imagine how you must feel. Poor baby<3 May he rest in peace<333 We are all mourning with you so don't worry :(

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It's hard coming home and him not being here, he was my little shadow when I was home. I don't think I'll ever know what happened or why and I'm just going to have to learn to accept that in time.

This is very hard to go through. I'm sorry you're having to go through it. :(

When you're ready, Bunny may send you a dream or a message in another way telling you that he'd like you to share that bunny love with another rabbit who needs the loving home you can provide. I've received dreams from several of my passed-on Bernese Mountain Dogs, giving me messages of various types.

Until then, remember good things you did for him and good/funny things he did for/with you.

re. medication reactions: I'm deadly allergic (anaphylaxis) to a very common preservative in injectable medications. I didn't react the first time, but the second was a real doozy--I ended up in the Emergency Room. The doctor explained to my husband that the first exposure greets a "naive" immune system, so there's no reaction. But the second exposure greets a "primed" immune system, and that's when the trouble starts. IF the seizure was medication-related. It's highly likely, as an earlier poster surmised, that the same condition which led you to take Bunny to the vet was the one that took his life, regardless of which (or even whether) medication was administered.

Necropsies don't *always* provide us with answers. A beloved cat of mine died suddenly on a Sunday morning in April 2000, even though we got him to the emergency vet almost immediately. They couldn't save him. We had a littermate and wanted to know what killed him, so we spent the $850 (the cost at the time) for a necropsy. The cause of death could not be found.... *heavy sigh*

Latest posts

Back