seeking advise

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanza

Reaction score
When I first got flops I didnt know much about rabbits. I bought him a cage from
petsmart but felt horrible making him go in it at night so he ended up being a free range bunny right from the get-go. Which I now know isn't the correct way to litter train a rabbit. Regardless of being free range he did really well with the litterbox for about 6 months.
Then there started to be quite a few scattered droppings not making it in the litterbox. So I'm thinking his hormones must be kicking in.
I then moved from the basement to upstairs, initially flops did really well, he wasn't pooping on the floor or anything. But then it started to get bad! He started peeing and pooping on the bed a lot! So im really thinking it must be the hormones.
But its wierd because he's actually doing really well with not peeing on the bed right now. So it comes and goes.

I'm moving in about a month and have decided to make him a nice big NIC cage and get him neutered when I can afford it. This way I can start from scratch and litterbox train him the propper way.
I'm just worried about how he is going to take it! Considereing he has free roam right now. Im afraid he will become bored and depressed having to spend part of his time in a cage.
He is about 1 1/2 years, so i'm hoping he isn't stuck in his ways of bad litter habbits.
What do you think?
Is this the right way to go about this?

I think that's a good way to do it :)

He will have this inbuilt need to mark his territory, and neutering should make this a lot better, so that would definitely be a good place to start.

You can make the NIC cage nice and big, and also have water proof floors (like coroplast) so that it is easy to clean.

He can be stimulated well inside a cage like that, things like toys, digging trays, places to hide, hidden food, etc, there are lots of ways you can stimulae him and make his life interesting.

my buck, hartleybun, became a perfect gentlebun as far as marking his territory was concerned once he was neutered:) much to the delight of roxy he even got the hang of using the litter box area:rollseyes

if flop is fond of tunnelling you could get some wide plastic pipes. i brought a couple from my local builder's merchants for the buns to run thru' :)

I was in the same situation when I moved Pebbles from the free roam of my room down to the large NIC pen with Georgie and she's been doing fine. As long as he has stuff to do and the occasional run time, should be alright!

Neutering will definitely help.. it's never too late for a bun to be litter trained! My Poppy was spayed at 3 (before then, not so good litter habits) and she's now one of my best box users!

Latest posts

Back