Second Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunaloof2021

Reaction score
*disclaimer: a lot of reading ahead…

Hello! I came to Rabbitsonline because I needed some advice on my current pet rabbit Luna who is a three-year-old satin Rabbit. I got her as a single rabbit but I have been mulling over multiple articles and videos on the pros and cons of a single rabbit or reasons why a pair is better but I need more opinions. I’ve only had her for five months but she has seem to have finally gotten comfortable with me and her new home. She is very sassy and sometimes she growls at me when I take too long to put her pellet ball down she does not let me pick her up nor does she come to my lap or sit beside me but she does love being petted as she purrs and clicks her teeth. Although she has only bitten me twice and not to profusely she does get excited to see me in the morning and likes to give me nose bops and enjoys being petted. She is free room in the house and loves to do zoomies in the morning. I’ve provided her with so so many toys but she only takes interest in a couple or she usually just chills out the whole day as a bunny loaf or sprawls out and sleeps the rest of the day listening to some music that I always put on for her. My concern is I’m worried one day she will get to the point where she becomes depressed or unhappy because she does not have a bunny companion. However as I mentioned I’m worried her sassy behavior might not tolerate another bunny she can get territorial with growling. My current situation is that I am a college student but I spend most of the day at home with her. But the upcoming years will be more busy for me in school and I’m worried that she might be left alone for too long. It feels like I’m at a very unsure time in my life so I want to think carefully if a second rabbit is worth it. I am considering getting another rabbit because it is possible I have the space for it and I’m willing to burn my wallet a little bit more if need be for Luna! But I also feel that since I’m home with her for a good amount of time and I only leave for 3 to 4 hours max that maybe she would just enjoy my company for the rest of her life since she will turn 4 this July. She is my second rabbit as my first rabbit was an outdoor rabbit but I guess the reason why I’m losing sleep over this single rabbit or pair rabbit situation is because of my first rabbit which now I know rabbits should not really be single outdoor so I continuously feel guilty about that. My other family members are discouraging me from getting a second Rabbit since there is always someone home during the day but I spend a lot of time with Luna the most. I feel that it was too spontaneous of me to get a rabbit now if she can’t have a second Rabbit companion I feel like she deserves better. Please let me know your thoughts!

Personally, I believe that if you have the time, money, and space, having a bonded pair is the best. Bunnies are social animals and do best in pairs- humans can't really compensate for a second rabbit IMO, we are giants to them and we don't speak the same language.

If you're worrying about another bunny not getting along, I'd recommend seeing if any shelters near you do "bunny dating" so you can see which bunny she would get along best with. Before you get another rabbit though, please make sure to do enough research on the bonding process as it can be very difficult to bond rabbits. :)

Our bunny Dutchess lost her bonded bunny Arnold so we are going to try to bond herwith the new bunny (Abby). Dutchess seemed happier with a friend, but it did take a while and some work to bond her and Arnold.

Latest posts

Back