Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haru the Lionhead

Reaction score
Hello guys, I got a bunny almost three weeks ago, and we’re thinking of getting her a sister so she can have fun with. Is that okay?is it better to get a second bunny now?or should I wait longer?or is it better not to get a new one at all?I don’t want her to get lonely or bored that’s why I wanted to get another one but at the same time I’m worried about her getting jealous of the new bunny and they would hurt each other. My bunny is 5 months old and the new one will be very young. Also if it was okay to get the new one, can I keep them in the same cage or should I get another one?(I put her in her cage when I’m not home or if we’re sleeping)

Your first bun needs to be spayed/neutered first,
I would really recommend that you let me 2nd bun grow more get neutered,
then start bonding.

If you put 2 un-spayed females together, they’ll likely fight, same with 2 unfixed makes ,
If you put a spayed rabbit and a whole male rabbit, he’ll spray urine on her.
and rabbits have different personalitys as they get older.

I would definitely wait till they are both fixed and wait (even after being fixed for some time rabbits can still have kits)

Last edited:
Both rabbits need to be spayed and neutered before bonding. When bonding rabbits it is easiest to have male/female bonds. If you do get another rabbit they will need to be housed separately until they are spayed and nutered. After the surgery, they will need to be housed in cages side by side (3-6" apart so they can't bite through the cage bars) in order that they get used to each others smells while recovering from surgery. Recovery takes 1-2 months because you also want their hormones to settle.
Once you began the bonding follow the method in the video below:

You said really young rabbit, a rabbit less than
8 weeks should not be separated from its mother.
Yes, the mother is still pregnant and will give birth very soon, so if I’ll take her I’ll wait for 10 weeks maybe a little bit more. As I said before my bunny is 5 months and the vet said it’s better to wait until she is 8-10 months for the surgery

Latest posts

Back