Scent gland help.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I keep trying to dig out the wax buildup with a Q-tip?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tori4thewin

Reaction score
Hello fellow bunny lovers. I am brand new here and am looking forward to being a part of the rabbit online community.

I have 2 rescue bunnies. Had them since April. I have seen videos online for cleaning scent glands and am attempting to put it into practice. I know I should check the glands once a month when I clip nails.

My Holland lop, Mopsy, had large waxy buildup in her glands but I was easily able to remove it last night. She hates it but it is done. Hers were huge and resting just on top of the glands.

My other bunny, Flopsy, a Dutch breed is another story. I just tried to clean hers out, I can smell it. I didn’t have much luck. It was difficult to see hers cuz her tail end is so much fluffier. Her glands are visibly clear without getting inside. I tried to use a wet Q-tip to get in there and I couldn’t. I kept trying and each time I couldn’t retrieve any waxy buildup before she freaked out and had to retry.

I do not want to hurt her by digging around. However, I can’t get anything out even though I can smell it. A visit to the vet is not possible right now.

Should I try again with another person to hold her still and then try to dig it out with the cotton swab? Should I leave it for another month? I am still gaining their trust and this grooming is not helping.

Attachments

• 02266ED1-DD3A-4A6F-AC2A-030D3F9AC244.jpeg
    02266ED1-DD3A-4A6F-AC2A-030D3F9AC244.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2
Scent gland cleaning isn't actually as common of a practice as a lot of people think. I have generally come across the philosophy that if it's not doing anything weird, leave it be. That being said, I'm not experienced with doing it, but I'm curious if your second one needs it right now?

It sounds like the successful cleaning was really needed since there was a large build up, but maybe the second rabbit doesn't have that much build up so it's not necessary to do it at this time? Can you smell it strongly when you aren't actively trying to clean it?

Yes, I can smell it when I am not cleaning her. I do have an exceptional nose, others may not be able to smell it. My bunnies are also not fixed and are too old to be fixed. The hormones are certainly contributing to the smell. I will probably leave it alone until next month’s nail clipping session. I don’t want to dig around there lol.

Scent gland cleaning isn't actually as common of a practice as a lot of people think. I have generally come across the philosophy that if it's not doing anything weird, leave it be. That being said, I'm not experienced with doing it, but I'm curious if your second one needs it right now?

It sounds like the successful cleaning was really needed since there was a large build up, but maybe the second rabbit doesn't have that much build up so it's not necessary to do it at this time? Can you smell it strongly when you aren't actively trying to clean it?

Just out of curiosity, how old are they?

Hormonal pees and poops can indeed be smelly, haha. I think I've heard people describe the scent-gland related smells as really gross coffee and "musky". In my experience, my rabbit's territorial poops (before neuter) smelled like weird onions? I suppose it's unfortunate you have a good nose, haha.

Some rabbits seem more prone to get dirty scent glands. Many rabbits don't have this issue and don't need them cleaned out.

If the glands are dirty, it's very important to be extremely gently and careful because their skin can tear so easily. It is a good idea to put a lubricant on the end of the q-tip. Some say use a water-based lubricant but I've seen rescues use regular petroleum jelly.

Here's a tutorial with photos that may help:
http://brighteyessanctuary.org/educ/rabbit-info-scent-glands.html

Yes, indeed the nose knowing is a blessing and a curse.

I do not know their age, only that they are at least 5. I rescued them from a tiny cage in the center of a chicken coop. The lady did not have information to give me except that she got the bunnies from a friend and had them for a few years.

I have been meaning to get them to a vet but money has been tight.

The smell is like skunk and coffee. It is rancid. Especially because I love coffee.

Just out of curiosity, how old are they?

Hormonal pees and poops can indeed be smelly, haha. I think I've heard people describe the scent-gland related smells as really gross coffee and "musky". In my experience, my rabbit's territorial poops (before neuter) smelled like weird onions? I suppose it's unfortunate you have a good nose, haha.

Thank you.

Some rabbits seem more prone to get dirty scent glands. Many rabbits don't have this issue and don't need them cleaned out.

If the glands are dirty, it's very important to be extremely gently and careful because their skin can tear so easily. It is a good idea to put a lubricant on the end of the q-tip. Some say use a water-based lubricant but I've seen rescues use regular petroleum jelly.

Here's a tutorial with photos that may help:
http://brighteyessanctuary.org/educ/rabbit-info-scent-glands.html

Latest posts

Back