Scary Moment Last Night/Early Morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elentari

Reaction score
So I thought I'd share my Great Big Terrifying Ordeal that I had with my bunny earlier, in the hopes that if someone is going through the same thing they can find this post and figure out if the situation is similar or where to go from there, if it's not. Information and awareness ya know?

around 8 pm I came back from watching a movie and Mab was underneath her hutch and far back on the right side, which is unusual for her because she's only underneath it on the left side when she sleeps. She was laying down but didn't look totally relaxed, I didn't hear any teeth grinding or odd stomach noises, she let me pet her and get in her face, but wouldn't let me touch her stomach which she is normally fine with me doing. After a few hours she still hadn't come our or eaten anything, and normally around this time she's running around. I was still worried but went to sleep hoping she was just tired today and wanted to take it easy and that maybe she did eat while I was watching the movie and I was just being my paranoid overly anxious self.

Around 5 am I woke up again because I couldn't sleep, she was still under her hutch, her food or water had not been touched. So I went to get her some greens, which she always runs straight to when I put them in-front of her. Nothing. Didn't move toward them. So I panicked. Cried, thought she was going to die, because it was almost those dreaded 12 hours death window times. Anyway, I woke up my mom, who is a calmer person than I am, and we got her moving, put water on our fingers and her nose to get her to drink and hand fed her some greens, and she took a few. Her stomach looked low to me, but after moving around she pooped! I checked her litter box and it looked like she just had two poops kind of stuck together that must have been hard to push through and made her constipated. Immediately after she pooped she went straight to the greens and her water and was running around like nothing was wrong. I was able to touch her stomach and felt no issues and gave her a little massage.

She's back to being her normal self and eating and drinking. Her litter box looks normal, her stomach feels normal, and she hasn't made any painful noises. So turns out, what I thought was imminent death was just a difficult poop that she needed to pass, and I think by getting her to move she kick started her system instead of being stagnant by laying down.

Anyway, I'm absolutely over the solar system that she's okay and back to normal, and just hope that by sharing this other disasterizers can see that hopefully everything will be okay with your bunny and they aren't going through a deadly gi stasis episode, they're just a bit constipated.

That is one wild experience to go through! I haven't experienced the exact same thing, but back when Musti still lived outside, i would freak out crazy if he wasn't so active or hungry as usual and each time he had a "stiffy" stomach i would blame everyone and everything, including myself and his pellets, for creating such a situation.
Little did i know back then that small stiffness is completely a O.k as it is just a part of rabbits digesting their food.
One time when Musti still lived outside, in the late evening when my dad and i went to bun's place, his eye was shut and full of grime. I immedeately freaked out, worrying what had happened and if he was gonna recover or if he was gonna be blind. I wailed a lot because i am of oversensitive nature. Luckily it was all right the day after that.

That is one wild experience to go through! I haven't experienced the exact same thing, but back when Musti still lived outside, i would freak out crazy if he wasn't so active or hungry as usual and each time he had a "stiffy" stomach i would blame everyone and everything, including myself and his pellets, for creating such a situation.
Little did i know back then that small stiffness is completely a O.k as it is just a part of rabbits digesting their food.
One time when Musti still lived outside, in the late evening when my dad and i went to bun's place, his eye was shut and full of grime. I immedeately freaked out, worrying what had happened and if he was gonna recover or if he was gonna be blind. I wailed a lot because i am of oversensitive nature. Luckily it was all right the day after that.

I'm glad your bun is okay! Glad to know I'm not the only one who is oversensitive about their rabbit. I hope Musti is still doing great!

Yeah, i'm glad too that he is oaky. Well truth to be told, i'm now nervous. Musti has a heck ton of crust-like skin on his chin and it's most likely not just the situation of him sticking his chin in water all the time. Maybe he is hot since his nose is wet?

Latest posts

Back