Scary Craigslist Ad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually someone looking for a family pet will provide more information than simply stating they will take any free or cheap rabbits.

I flagged it .... for being in the wrong section.;)

Happi Bun wrote:
Usually someone looking for a family pet will provide more information than simply stating they will take any free or cheap rabbits.

I flagged it .... for being in the wrong section.;)
sounds about like 99.9% of the ads around here. "Looking for a dog. I can't afford to pay for one so free preferred" "My cat was hit by a car. Looking for a replacement"
There was even one last summer looking for a free pony for the kids.

On the other hand, growing up, our local AC officer used to encourage people to let her take unweaned/newborn pups, "before the kids get attached". She had a friend with snakes and gave the puppies to her.

Makes me wonder (If it's not for a snake, which is obviously is...) what people think they are going to do if the animal gets sick, or how they will cover the cost of feeding, or all those other variables if they can't even afford to get the animal...

Some people just don't think.

Some things just are totally wrong. Hope no one replies. I used to give up my rescues for free. But, I'd do an interview, a home visit and then think on it. In three years time we adopted out 7 and only took one back because of allergies. The rest went to great forever homes.

Being a snake owner, it's disapointing that people look down upon us that much to automatically point a finger that that's what those rabbits are for.

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
Being a snake owner, it's disapointing that people look down upon us that much to automatically point a finger that that's what those rabbits are for.
I was just going to say that...i am going to let you guys know something that you probably don't want to know, but feeder rabbits at a reptile store are dirt cheap. So I dont' believe that there are a bunch of snake owners looking on CL for rabbits :/

Most snake owners don't do that. Plus, most common snakes as pet don't get big enough to feed on rabbits, just an FYI.

To me it sounded like someone either wants to breed or just wants rabbits (like 1 for each child)

it is too sad though.

Most snake owners also use frozen for safely reasons.

Not many reasonably easy to keep snakes can eat rabbits either, I'm guessing it's a disposible easter present that they'll just get rid of, not snake food.

a lot of people don't have money, so they look at a free animal as a cheap way to get their kids something. It sucks, but that's what a lot of people do.

I'd say they probably aren't for snake food....most snakes kept as pets couldn't handle a full sized rabbit and the poster seems willing to take any and didn't specify any certain size or age. Still it's very irresponsible to just ask of someone's "Free pets" without considering the commitment. On a side note, something I find odd, is that a petstore here locally sells small feeder rabbits....AKA, 3 week old babies! I am not even sure if this is legal? Many of them die before they are bought for obvious reasons and even if they were old enough, they get no hay. The ONLY time the bunnies have hay is when I buy a bag and give it to them. Anyway, back to the point of my story....if someone want's to buy a bun for snakefood it's $5.00. If they want it for a pet it's $40.00. I died laughing at the absurdity of this when the owner told me. She just said, "Well, people won't pay $40 for snakefood but they will for a pet"....how the use of an animal changes it's value I'm not sure and I guess if someone is stupid enough to pay $40 for a sickly, unweaned, bunny with no dicernable breed then I guess it's what they get....not that the poor critters don't deserve to be saved...but I am sure that most are impulse purchases cast by the wayside within a couple weeks....IF they live that long.

There's usually no guarantee what someone will do with a rabbit after they get it. We advertised a few on Craigslist and, although we tried to ask the right questions when talking topeople over the phone, I sometimes wonder if they told us the truth. Wealways tell them to call us if they have any questions about the rabbit, and I don't think we've gotten one call yet. I still wonder ifone rabbit we sold went for consumption...it was just a feeling I had as we drove away from the meet. Maybe some people don't care if its a meat rabbit or not.

While animal lovers who happen to have snakes will not do such things, my mother did work with a guy that would have. His snake ate rabbits and lived on his porch because it was too big for an aquarium that would comfortably fit in his house. He would take free rabbits in, feed them to the snake and take pictures of the rabbit's face to save because he enjoyed watching the pain/fear in the animal. There ARE people who do such things. He would also buy feeder rabbits, but he wouldn't turn down anything free.

I am very wary about giving animals away for free, since there are people will be use them for dog bait, etc. But there are a lot of ads on craigslist atm because easter is just around the corner and they want baby rabbits for their kids for easter. DUMB reason and likely most will end up at the shelters, or turned loose when the kids get bored. :(

As for why feeders / pets are different in price, a lot of times "feeder" animals are not bred for health at all, since they will all die young anyway. Animals bred as pets are taken better care of, responsible breeders will socialize them, make sure they don't breed in any health defects if they can avoid it... the extra care means extra money. Not saying all treat their feeders like that, of course, just a lot sadly do.

Marrie wrote:
As for why feeders / pets are different in price, a lot of times "feeder" animals are not bred for health at all, since they will all die young anyway. Animals bred as pets are taken better care of, responsible breeders will socialize them, make sure they don't breed in any health defects if they can avoid it... the extra care means extra money. Not saying all treat their feeders like that, of course, just a lot sadly do.

I can definitely see that....the probalem at this petstore is that the 3 week old kits sold for snake food are the SAME kits sold as pets at a much higher price...and they are cared for just as crappily(is that a word) as the feeders. This petstore is just a Hell on earth kinda place anyway.

Latest posts

Back