Scabs in Bunny's Ears

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leahbrook00

Reaction score
My bunny, Stella, has recently (about a week ago) developed scabs inside of her ears. She is a year old, and has never had ear mites before.

On the right ear, the scab is about halfway up from the base of her ear, and on the left, they are closer to her ear canal.

I am not sure if they are mites because they are so far up her ears.

Also, she has a sister who often grooms her, and has been grooming her ears, so I also wondered if she might have bitten them.

Stella has been scratching her ears a lot with her hind legs, and before I go to the vet I was wondering if anyone else has seen this in their rabbits.

LEFT EAR
VIDEO0060_0000030254.jpg

IMAG0883.jpg

RIGHT EAR
IMAG0884.jpg
IMAG0889.jpg

Stella
IMAG0890_1.jpg

Are they in both ears? She's possibly created the wounds herself from scratching too much. The way to be sure is to go to the vet and get them to take a scrape to check for mites.

It could be mites, but also could be an infection. Either one could cause scratching/irritation and would be best if checked out. Also, rabbits, especially lops, can get wax buildup in their ears (some of which they can naturally get out by scratching). Sometimes they end up needing a ear rinse to get some the excess out. Whatever the case, if she's scratching enough to cause it to be raw, probably a good idea to have the vet take a peak.

Latest posts

Back