Scabby things on ear?! Scratching?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madelyn L.

Reaction score
I’m going to get straight to the point, because I don’t have a clue what is going on. For the past few weeks, my bunny has been scratching his ears a bit more aggressively than usual. For example, I would get done petting him, and then he would shake his head then violently scratch his ears. Anyways, today I was petting him, and I felt something rough on his ears. It was sort of like sandpaper. I took a look at his ear and saw a small scab. I inspected the rest of his ear, and there were a few more scabs. They aren’t big, and you wouldn’t be able to see them if you didn’t really look. His ear itself (on the outside) is also a bit inflamed and red. I am thinking the scabs and the inflamed ear is from the scratching, but I don’t know why he is scratching in the first place! I would get a picture, but he won’t let me touch that ear for too long. Do any of y’all know why he is scratching?! Help!

It sounds like ear mites, which he could have gotten through hay or from other animals (if you have other animals). Are the scabs inside the ear, or on the outside of the ear?
More info on ear mites: MediRabbit
Natural Remedies for treating ear mites:
"Olive Oil: Clean out the ear, carefully, remove all the brown waxy build up. Using a droper add 6-7 drops of olive oil into each ear. Keep the rabbit from shaking its head for a few minutes so that the oil can work its way into the ear. The oil will drown and kill the mites."

The other possibility would be fleas. I would check and make sure he doesn't have fleas.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

Latest posts

Back