Scab on bunny tail

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mokabunbun

Reaction score
i just got a bunny and she seemed all fine but i later found a scab on her tail :( i dont know where it came from and im really worried.

Attachments

• 25AEBF81-8B55-4B82-942E-A5495450A9F0.jpeg
    25AEBF81-8B55-4B82-942E-A5495450A9F0.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 9
  • B56CD411-0C16-46E5-972F-48B85AD48820.jpeg
    B56CD411-0C16-46E5-972F-48B85AD48820.jpeg
    50 KB · Views: 7
It's possible she did it herself. Self mutilating behavior can sometimes occur with rabbits. Sometimes it can be from feeling stressed, bored, frustrated, or it can also occur from a health problem such as a nerve issue in the tail.

It's also possible if she is new in your home and had a bunny friend or bunny neighbor at her previous home, that the other rabbit chewed on her tail.

So if it's possible she did it herself, I would keep a close eye on her and the wound to make sure the behavior has stopped and that the wound doesn't get infected and heals ok. If she continues to mess with the tail then it's probably best to have her seen by an experienced rabbit vet. Just be aware that rabbits have been known to chew their tails right off, so if you are concerned at all about the behavior continuing and/or the wound healing ok, see an experienced rabbit vet right away.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

It's possible she did it herself. Self mutilating behavior can sometimes occur with rabbits. Sometimes it can be from feeling stressed, bored, frustrated, or it can also occur from a health problem such as a nerve issue in the tail.

It's also possible if she is new in your home and had a bunny friend or bunny neighbor at her previous home, that the other rabbit chewed on her tail.

So if it's possible she did it herself, I would keep a close eye on her and the wound to make sure the behavior has stopped and that the wound doesn't get infected and heals ok. If she continues to mess with the tail then it's probably best to have her seen by an experienced rabbit vet. Just be aware that rabbits have been known to chew their tails right off, so if you are concerned at all about the behavior continuing and/or the wound healing ok, see an experienced rabbit vet right away.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
ah okay! should these scabs heal by themselves or should i get anything to treat it?

ah okay! should these scabs heal by themselves or should i get anything to treat it?
My rabbit once did that to her ear and I used a certain injury disinfectant -povidone iodine- on the wound with a cotton ball so it doesn't get any bacteria and it healed in like a week or so.
To be honest a cats & dogs vet prescribed it to me so I was really worried it'd harm her but I kept an eye on her so she wouldn't lick it just in case. Hope your bunny gets better. <3

hi mokabunbun i read that you should take a clean cotton ball or gauze pad and put some Betadine on it. :D
:);)

Latest posts

Back