Scab on back

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lois south

Reaction score
Guys I just found a scab on my indoor rabbits back. A week ago the vet said he has fleas and hes on a course of this ointment thing for it. His nails are also getting long and he would let me touch them so I'm taking him to have them done next week. I have no idea what could have caused the scab. I feel so horrible. Does anyone know how he could have gotten it and what I can do.

Thank you20190919_141628.jpg

Did he happen to also get vaccinated? If not, if he's been around other rabbits with in the last month, that could also be an explanation.

If neither of those are possibilities, if that is where the flea treatment was applied it could possibly have causes a minor dermal reaction that resulted in it scabbing over. Or maybe a bug bite.

Did he happen to also get vaccinated? If not, if he's been around other rabbits with in the last month, that could also be an explanation.

If neither of those are possibilities, if that is where the flea treatment was applied it could possibly have causes a minor dermal reaction that resulted in it scabbing over. Or maybe a bug bite.
He has gotten one of his vaccines so far. And hes not around any rabbits or other animals. The flea treatment was applied near the spot but that was a week ago. Could that still upset his skin? What should i do if it is a bug bite. Can't that kill him?

So if the vaccine was given in that area and within the last few weeks, that could have caused some scabbing. Or the flea treatment could have caused a minor skin reaction resulting in a raised area of skin that now is no longer inflamed and is now scabbing over. If it's a bug bite and there are no other signs of anything being wrong, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it's healing well and doesn't start looking infected(yellowish scab, read inflamed skin). Also make sure that when it does heal that there isn't a lump leftover as that could mean there is an underlying abscess.

If you have any concerns, best thing to do would be consult with your vet.

Last edited:
So if the vaccine was given in that area and within the last few weeks, that could have caused some scabbing. Or the flea treatment could have caused a minor skin reaction resulting in a raised area of skin that now is no longer inflamed and scabbing over. If it's a bug bite and there are no other signs of anything being wrong, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it's healing well and doesn't start looking infected(yellowish scab, read inflamed skin). Also make sure that when it does heal that there isn't a lump leftover as that could mean there is an underlying abscess.

If you have any concerns, best thing to do would be consult with your vet.
Thank you so much you've really helped because i was freaking out. I'll keep an eye on it. He has a vet appointment in a few days so I'll bring it up then

Latest posts

Back