Saved rabbit, need help IDing breed so I can look up care tips

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

White Rabbit

Reaction score
Hey everyone found this rabbit where I live roaming around my yard, zoomed in on it the first time i saw it since it didn't want to scare it. I live in coyote, hawk, snake, etc area, so I didn't want it to die. It would come up to me but wouldnt really let me pet it at first, but I could touch it with a few fingers before it moved a few inches away. Pretty large rabbit, black spot on it's eye. Im 100 percent this was a pet. He/she(think its a he since it doesn't have a fat chin/dewlap) did get attacked by something and has some damage( looks like a scratch) on his back, but no real issues from it, walking fine, eating, drinking, not touching it. Finally caught it and for the last week been trying to find its owner and no luck. Im starting to think someone dumped it as I live near mountains. So i bought a large hutch(waiting in the mail for it ill post a link below), I live in Southern CA and it doesn't get too cold, heat is more my issue, and am trying to learn to care for it. Right now the rabbit is inside in it's cage in an area the dogs can't get to it. I think it's a Rex rabbit, but im not sure, I hope someone here could tell me. I would appreciate the help on what type it is and any small tips beyond the basics. Little guy is gonna have to live in this cage sadly until I get the hutch on the November 3rd as I have 3 large dogs, Siberian husky, German Shepherd, and a Cane Corso x Rottweiler mix. I had a cat in the mix before, it would try to even feed off my Husky, so im sure i could get it to work out lol. I have a fenced area to let him out to roam so he can get some exercise a few hours a day without my dogs bugging him(even though it loves my dogs and tries running at them lol) before the hutch gets here, but i still feel bad, better then dying though. Thanks for any help

Amazon.com: Hanover HANRH0105-CDR Outdoor Wooden Elevated Rabbit Hutch with Ramp, Cedar : Pet Supplies
Couldnt get video files to upload for some reason so here is youtube

bunny-1-300x225.jpg

Thank you for rescuing him. Not sure what breed but glad he is now safe.
Thank you, yeah I felt really bad about it. I dont know much about rabbits other then what ive been researching now, but even before I always knew white "prey" animals out in the wild equals little to no chance of survival. It would literally walk up to me like in the video above and sit under my chair before I caught it, so it's like it was asking to be saved. I know it wont be the happiest in the cage it is in now for the next week, but thats better then what it was up against haha. Ill try to get better pictures as I just noticed it made my picture smaller.

New pics, it's sleeping, trusts me already and lets me pet it.

bunny2.jpgbunny 3.jpgbunny.jpg

Possibly a new zealand rabbit, or maybe a white flemish giant rabbit, depending on how big it is. Rex rabbits have a very distinctive plush dense coat. Feels a bit like velvet. You can very easily tell a rex from other rabbits.

But regardless, a rabbits diet isn't breed dependent. Start with a good quality grass hay like timothy, orchard, etc, and it needs to be free fed(never runs out). Buying a bale of good quality horse hay is the cheapest way to feed hay, especially if you're feeding a larger breed rabbit. Then you have to make sure the rabbit is eating the hay really well. Basically a pile of hay the size of your rabbits body, per day, or twice a day(or more) if not eating pellets yet. If it's not eating hay well, then another method will need to be tried, possibly a vet check to make sure the teeth aren't the problem.

Then if you are going to be feeding rabbit pellets, I would get a good brand like oxbow, science select, or sherwood, and gradually start introducing it into the diet over a couple weeks, starting with a small amount. A grass based pellet for an adult rabbit, or alfalfa based if you think the rabbit is still young. Once you've finished introducing pellets, then you can gradually start with veggies.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

Other care info is basically all the same for all breed and sizes of rabbits, except angora rabbits need different grooming, and baby rabbits can have a slightly different diet to adult rabbits. Also health info can be different in some respects, for a flemish giant rabbit.

One thing that's good to get figured out, is finding a good rabbit vet so you have that all sorted out if an emergency comes up unexpectedly.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

Possibly a new zealand rabbit, or maybe a white flemish giant rabbit, depending on how big it is. Rex rabbits have a very distinctive plush dense coat. Feels a bit like velvet. You can very easily tell a rex from other rabbits.

But regardless, a rabbits diet isn't breed dependent. Start with a good quality grass hay like timothy, orchard, etc, and it needs to be free fed(never runs out). Buying a bale of good quality horse hay is the cheapest way to feed hay, especially if you're feeding a larger breed rabbit. Then you have to make sure the rabbit is eating the hay really well. Basically a pile of hay the size of your rabbits body, per day, or twice a day(or more) if not eating pellets yet. If it's not eating hay well, then another method will need to be tried, possibly a vet check to make sure the teeth aren't the problem.

Then if you are going to be feeding rabbit pellets, I would get a good brand like oxbow, science select, or sherwood, and gradually start introducing it into the diet over a couple weeks, starting with a small amount. A grass based pellet for an adult rabbit, or alfalfa based if you think the rabbit is still young. Once you've finished introducing pellets, then you can gradually start with veggies.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

Thanks for the response, the rabbit is really, really soft, but this is also my first rabbit, so Im ignorant to the different softness of different breeds. Looking into the Giant flemish, I don't think it is that, that is really big and the ears are huge haha, unless this happens to be a young rabbit, I have no idea how to tell. So now im stuck between Rex and Australian, It doesn't have the long face of Australian, the size looks more right, looks bigger then a Rex from pictures, unless Rex do get this big. The cage it is in is about 24.5 inches long or so. So it is a rather large bunny, or at least compared to the wild ones around me. Right now I have it on "smallworld" pellets I got at the grocery store(im sure its not the best) as it was the only thing i could get that was open when I caught it. It loves them. It's also getting romaine lettuce and other small amounts of little treats like tomatos and carrots. Heck im sure it loves anything after being in the wild lol. Hay is harder for me to get so i had to order online last night. Thanks for the suggestions on brands.

Last edited:
Definitely not a rex. I can see the fur better in those photos. Probably just a mix then, maybe part flemish based on the broader looking head shape in that last photo.

You'll want to keep an eye on the poop. Look for mushy poop or poop becoming much smaller in size(or stopping). Rabbits don't usually do very well with sudden changes in their diet(with the exception of good grass hay). It can cause a disruption of the balance of microflora in there, which can cause digestive issues.

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops/

People think just because a rabbit has black around the eye, that it makes it a hotot, which is a false assumption. I have some experience with this as I have dwarf hotot rabbits. Black markings on a white rabbit, just means the rabbit has genetics that include black spots. Could be from broken/spotted genes, could have some dutch breed, or vienna genes. Having some color on a white rabbit just means your rabbit has 'charlie' coloring, which is a mostly white rabbit with some colored markings(though this classification can be more technical if you get into the genetics).

https://www.vgr1.com/mc/example/
Blanc de hotots are a pretty rare breed in the US. Not only would it be highly unlikely for someone to just set loose a rare breed rabbit like that, but your rabbit looks to have a different body type, longer ears, and a broader head to me, than what a blanc de hotot rabbit would have. The most common large breed rabbits that would be around and someone might set loose, would be meat breeds like new zealand, flemish, rex, and mixes of those. But I'm no expert. Maybe @SableSteel who is much more experienced with rabbit breeds, will get a chance to chime in.

People think just because a rabbit has black around the eye, that it makes it a hotot, which is a false assumption. I have some experience with this as I have dwarf hotot rabbits. Black markings on a white rabbit, just means the rabbit has genetics that include black spots. Could be from broken/spotted genes, could have some dutch breed, or vienna genes. Having some color on a white rabbit just means your rabbit has 'charlie' coloring, which is a mostly white rabbit with some colored markings(though this classification can be more technical if you get into the genetics).

https://www.vgr1.com/mc/example/
Blanc de hotots are a pretty rare breed in the US. Not only would it be highly unlikely for someone to just set loose a rare breed rabbit like that, but your rabbit looks to have a different body type, longer ears, and a broader head to me, than what a blanc de hotot rabbit would have. The most common large breed rabbits that would be around and someone might set loose, would be meat breeds like new zealand, flemish, rex, and mixes of those. But I'm no expert. Maybe @SableSteel who is much more experienced with rabbit breeds, will get a chance to chime in.
Thanks again from the response, from what i was told by those in the store, one being the manager, (thats why i got a deal on hay lol), told him my story, i showed them pictures. The manager said the eye marking and blue eyes made them likely think it was a Hotot as they too thought it was likely dumped being do to not being show worthy since both eyes weren't marked. The people on the other forum also thought similar, but pictures are hard to tell by. When i take it to the vet soon hopefully they will know. He seems to be happy in his pen earlier(he goes in at night right now), trying to get my dogs adjusted too, only the GSD still shows interest, they have booped noses through the fence, and the rabbit must have been raised around dogs since it literally charges my dogs sometimes lol. Brave guy. Going to take as long as it took my cat for them to be okay with each other if my GSD shows interest at this rate haha(about a month)

Last edited:
Whatever the breed, you have one happy bunny there. The 'dead bunny flop' in the cage, and the little head/body shake it's doing in the video, are all signs of a pretty content and happy rabbit that feels completely safe in it's new home.

If you need some tips on dog/rabbit introductions, it's covered in the link below. Of course it always has to be done strictly supervised and with great caution.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/rabbits-with-dogs.html

Whatever the breed, you have one happy bunny there. The 'dead bunny flop' in the cage, and the little head/body shake it's doing in the video, are all signs of a pretty content and happy rabbit that feels completely safe in it's new home.

If you need some tips on dog/rabbit introductions, it's covered in the link below. Of course it always has to be done strictly supervised and with great caution.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/rabbits-with-dogs.html
Thank you for the kind words, im trying my best with what little knowledge about rabbits I have. Thank you for the link, ill be sure to give it a read. I have had good success getting my cat to get along with my dogs when she was still around, would even try to feed on my Husky. I was so confused. I was in college when it happened, it took about a month and came home to this after their first few days alone together when I would go out lol:

You have been very helpful thank you :) Hope I dont bug too much asking questions in the future if I dont find this guy his home.

Thanks again from the response, from what i was told by those in the store, one being the manager, (thats why i got a deal on hay lol), told him my story, i showed them pictures. The manager said the eye marking and blue eyes made them likely think it was a Hotot as they too thought it was likely dumped being do to not being show worthy since both eyes weren't marked. The people on the other forum also thought similar, but pictures are hard to tell by. When i take it to the vet soon hopefully they will know. He seems to be happy in his pen earlier(he goes in at night right now), trying to get my dogs adjusted too, only the GSD still shows interest, they have booped noses through the fence, and the rabbit must have been raised around dogs since it literally charges my dogs sometimes lol. Brave guy. Going to take as long as it took my cat for them to be okay with each other if my GSD shows interest at this rate haha(about a month)

You probably will want to give him some kind of hiding place when he is outside in the pen just in case some kind of predator comes around. Rabbits like to have a place to hide. I am so glad that you found him. He looks like he feels safe and at home with you. A great source that I used before we got our first rabbit was Rabbit101 on youtube. Rabbits are great pets they have wonderful personalities.

You probably will want to give him some kind of hiding place when he is outside in the pen just in case some kind of predator comes around. Rabbits like to have a place to hide. I am so glad that you found him. He looks like he feels safe and at home with you. A great source that I used before we got our first rabbit was Rabbit101 on youtube. Rabbits are great pets they have wonderful personalities.
Im outside with him right now whenever he is outside more for my own dogs as I don't trust them yet, even with the fence haha. No predator is going to come in my yard with these 3 big girls haha(ill post a video), but i do get where you are coming from. Should have seen my cat taunt the hawks with my dogs trying to get them, funny stuff. He has his cage in the pen too covered by a towel to make a slightly dark "cave" you just can't really see it in the video as it's butted up against the fence. The pen is 8x8 feet, it's decent size for now until i get the runway area set up with the hutch and chicken wire. I want to make a top so I can go in and let the rabbit stay out longer, but that will take some work unless i just use a tarp haha. But that is why i am watching anyway. I bring the laptop out, play some music, movies or tv shows from 3pm-7pm and watch it play and chill, clean its cage, etc. From what I read, 4 hours of exercise a day minimum is what they need, so it's what I have been doing until I get everything set up. I work in the movie industry so I can make my own hours(a lot of the time which has been really helping with this) so right now when I get home from work I let him out. Hope to see my dogs get used to him sooner rather then later so I can let them all play inside. Then I would just have to train it to use the bathroom, unless it already knows how.

Wow! You have a very tolerant dog. I guess your kitten decided she wasn't ready to be weaned yet :p
Yeah my Husky is generally good with small animals and has a motherly instinct for the most part. My cane corso doesnt really seem to care at all, and my GSD is in total "what is this" mode. No barking, but constantly trying to sniff or see what the rabbit is doing like the video above. I hope once the hutch comes and they start seeing each other enough they get over the rabbit, as the rabbit will be placed in my side yard runway area(i have a large 6-8 foot overhang where birds wont see it at all) and the main backyard where the dogs will be. So bunny is taking my grilling area but its for a better cause lol. So hopefully in about a month or so all will be well and ill try a slow first encounter with one dog at a time and hope it all goes well from there and would be able to let the bunny inside more and more once potty trained lol. The rabbit really wants to be their friend, i feel bad since it probably is used to other animals judging by how it has no fear of my dogs

He/she could be interested in more than just being friends, especially if it's a buck. Male rabbits are often extremely hormonal and will pretty much hump anything in sight, particularly another furry creature. So your dogs better watch out 🤣

Rabbits can usually be litter box trained, at least for peeing. The poop will depend on the rabbit. Some are better about it than others. And spaying/neutering can help improve those litter habits.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

He/she could be interested in more than just being friends, especially if it's a buck. Male rabbits are often extremely hormonal and will pretty much hump anything in sight, particularly another furry creature. So your dogs better watch out 🤣

Rabbits can usually be litter box trained, at least for peeing. The poop will depend on the rabbit. Some are better about it than others. And spaying/neutering can help improve those litter habits.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
LOL well I do have female dogs lol. I have no idea if it is fixed yet, but im pretty sure it is a male since there is no dewlap. I will get started on that article, thank you :)

Latest posts

Back